43 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Janet,

It looks like Mohammed may have added in a Storyline block there. The image pops up with animation to it, and I also heard audio. I'm not 100% confident on that, but I wanted to share that it did work for me.

Also, we'll keep you posted if anything changes regarding autoplay of media! 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, D!

Does the first slide of your Storyline Block contain audio or video? If so, that would cause the play button to appear. 

Browsers like Chrome and Safari have started to block the autoplay of media. This article explains why you're seeing a play button in those browsers. 

Let me know if that answers your question!

Crystal Horn

Hey, Santiago. Web browsers are moving towards stricter auto-play policies in order to improve the user experience. We agree that requiring some kind of action from the user, such as clicking a button before playing audio, is the right approach to ensure a unified experience for all learners. To that end, we won’t be adding any auto-play features to Rise 360. However, we are looking at ways we may be able to provide narration features that don’t auto-play.

We'll keep you posted on enhancements along the way.

IDEA Team

Hi Adam, I've come to this thread through a different one about auto-play. If a student or learner is on a mobile device to take a course, that's very different than just casually browsing a website, so I don't see that as a one-to-one comparison. It seems like auto-play should be a feature that designers can select if they want to use it for learning. An instructional designer always can state to users in course instructions that the audio will auto-play, learners should be using headphones, etc., in order to give learners a heads up and establish what the norms and expectations are for taking the course. 

Mirical MacDonald

I aim to always have voiceover playing when there is text on the screen. No auto playing audio is a deal breaker for me as well. I do wish that it was possible. I was looking forward to trying Rise out. I'll stick with Storyline. I understand that it is an issue with certain browsers but the bulk of my courses are built for LMS not Web delivery.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-coding_theory

Jay Couvillon

Hello.  I know this post is 4 years old but I would like to throw my two cents in about this.  I agree that random audio popping up on my phone when I don't expect it is annoying, but if I am running a training course, I kind of expect audio to play. I would almost expect people to wonder if there is something wrong with their audio connection if it didn't start up automatically.  I would REALLY like to see this function added to Rise.  Given that if I create a course in Storyline, which can also easily be viewed on a phone, I can hear auto-played audio in that case.  

Thanks

Martin Dunne

This feature is of the utmost importance to the community of developers and Instructional designers that are CRYING out for this feature. I think it is pretty strange that something so sought after and requested, here in this thread and similar threads, has not been addressed. We understand that there are workarounds.

Forcing the learner to click all the audio buttons by the idea of content locking, via the Continue button (complete all blocks above)". This is not a good workaround as it may confuse a user as to what interaction they need to interact with, also there's no way to actually see if a particular audio element has been clicked/interacted with. Maybe a tick indication to say that an interactive element has been activated would be something nice to add. I know similar learning tools that has this feature and it works really well.
Inserting Storyline Block into a Rise course. Yes, there are times in which this is useful and is a fantastic feature BUT, it is totally counter-intuitive to have to insert a Storyline Block into Rise, to just enable an auto-play audio snippet. It defeats the purpose of using Articulate Rise.
We are not asking for the world. I don't believe we are asking too much. What we are asking for are the following

Inclusion of an auto-play feature for audio, whether it be a toggle button or option etc. This will allow for the instructional designers to make the decision on the best pedagogical approach to facilitate the most effective and meaningful learning experience possible.
Please raise this again, as it is still hindering projects for many of your community of users.
Kindest Regards,
Martin Dunne

Michael Glueck

I think especially in the Rise style courses using e.g. hotspots or any other interactive content that the user anyway clicks on, auto-play would make sense. Looking at the experience, it is not at all intrusive, if you click on a hotspot with some text and a friendly voice reads it out for you. And lets not forget, that in most cases it is not comparable to browsing, as the majority of users will very likely create the learning as a part of a curriculum that employees have to complete, So it is not like scrolling on Facebook or Instagram. It also makes it simply more inclusive, if you think about avoiding a robotic reader and instead having a real human voice reading passages out.

I would really like to see autostart audio and video and also some control over the visual aspect of a video, to e.g. being able to say when open--> autoplay in fullscreen mode.  

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks for checking in, Alisa! Autoplay Media is on our roadmap for Rise 360. While I don't have an ETA right now, we'll let you know as soon as that feature is released. 

And I'm happy to hear you're designing your online training with accessibility in mind! For learners who need audio to interact with course content, Rise 360 output supports screen readers and keyboard navigation. Our goal is to ensure that learners who rely on screen readers have as satisfying and rich of a learning experience as everyone else when exploring Rise 360 courses. 

Greg Caldwell

Thought I'd be proactive and build a course in Rise and present it to my manager and stakeholders.  It would have been the perfect course for Rise.

They liked Rise overall, but all of their first question was..."can you add audio that plays like Storyline?".

It ended up being a no-go unfortunately.