Avoiding SCORM exports

Oct 26, 2023

Kia Ora,

I work for a not for profit disability organisation. Currently our LMS is imbedded in an HRIS tool called ELMO which doesn’t seem to upload Rise courses in any other format than SCORM. SCORMS are apparently a dying breed and best avoided. 
If I don’t need the course tracked I give people a link. However many need to be tracked for quality compliance. Other than purchasing the very expensive new tool (from our perspective being not for profit) is there a way to track people accessing the course via a link or other forms. I like this because it is live at all times constantly taking on any updates without exporting and importing then course again.

6 Replies
Cody Wanberg

Kia,

Unfortunately, a Rise course that is accessed with a link can't be tracked. That being said, you might build in some actions that would function as manual tracking. This might look like a prompt at the end of the course that asks the learner to take a survey or send a message to someone sharing a take away. You could even state that those are required steps and if their responses are not received, they will be considered as incomplete. 

Also, if you have not done so yet, you might want to try testing out the different versions of SCROM. Our LMS also is limited to SCORM but we were able to figure out the traceability. The biggest thing was that we needed to use SCORM 2004, Version 4. I tested each of the SCORM versions in our LMS and this gave us the best tracking data (completion, quiz score, quiz responses). 

Hope some of that helps!