"Button" Blocks in RISE

Aug 12, 2019

Hi, All!

I'm new to RISE, and I'm attempting to use the templated block with a button that directs learners to a different lesson. When I tried to create a prototype, I noticed that it seemed I could only direct learners to other lessons inside the same course (or to a web link, etc.). 

If this is the case, is there a way to create a lesson inside the same course that is "hidden" until learners navigate to it by clicking that button? The issue being, I want participants to be able to "click for a deeper dive" into certain content, NOT to revisit content they already completed, or are about to complete... 

I hope that makes sense. Thank you!!

-Alyssa

5 Replies
Elizabeth Pawlicki

Hi Alyssa!  There are a couple of things you could do here, like turn off the sidebar and use continue buttons to have the learner move in a linear way through the course.   You could also use a button or a button stack at the end of each lesson to have them to jump to the next point where you need them to go.  I recorded this quick Peek to show you how those options might work!  Let me know if you have any questions!

Alyssa Heine

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you so much for recording that for me - I really appreciate it! My question is subtly different, however. It's not really about preventing learners from jumping around by restricting navigation. Instead, I'd like to use the Button/Button Stack to allow learners to jump to a lesson in a different course, or a stand-alone lesson outside the course (not just to jump around within the same course). 

The use case is, I'm building a 101-level course that is a general approach to a subject, but I want to allow ppl to click a button to take a "deeper dive" into a particular topic. That deeper dive isn't something I want all learners to have to go through in order to complete the course, as I think only some of the audience will be interested in those details.

I found this other answer, and I'll try this solution, but please let me know if you have any other suggestions! Link to another RISE course

Thanks again, very much appreciated.

-Alyssa

Alyssa Heine

Hi, other Alyssa!

Thank you - I haven't built the deep-dive course yet, but when I do, I'll build it on RISE and then I found another work-around to be able to host it on Teachable (our LMS - it isn't SCORM/Tin Can compliant, which is another problem). 

I guess I'm not sure which URL I should grab, but once I get to that point, I'll do some trouble-shooting and let you know if I have any issues..

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.