CAN I MAKE SUB MENU ITEMS IN RISE

May 08, 2017

A member of my team 360 is using Rise to make a presentation and needs to create sub-menus when he clicks on the side menu, for example, if there are two or departments-- say Deck Department and Engineering Department, when he clicks on Deck Department can the menu now show, e.g., ship construction, navigation, safety, cargo, etc.? He says he can't do it.

He realizes he can use Storyline for more functionality, however, there's too much of gap in the Responsive Player above or on the side of the presentation and not so in Rise.

6 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Iman,

Do you want to...

Create a path for each department so a user only sees the topics for his/her department in the menu?

OR

Create sub-headings in the side menu so users can see the all the topics under both departments?

Let me know what the goal is, and I can help point you in the right direction!

For the gaps that you're seeing in Storyline's responsive player:

• What is your slide size?
  • What device(s) are you viewing it on?
  • Did you see the same gaps in Preview using the mobile view options?
rizarudin omar

Hi,Ashley 

I'm rizal same team with Iman....can you explain both goal.So that I can choose with one is more suitable for us ..

Create a path for each department so a user only sees the topics for his/her department in the menu?

OR

Create sub-headings in the side menu so users can see the all the topics under both departments?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Sure thing, Rizarudin! 

I'll start with the second option as it's the easiest! You can create section headings by using the Shift+Enter key when writing in your "Lesson title" and you'll see that you can also move them around. This Peek video shows you a few steps around that (around the :50 mark is creating a new section). You could then tell learners they only needed to view the section relevant to them! 

For the first option you'll need to look into creating the path and some "branching" based on what the user chose. A couple different ways to do this, one that Adam shared here and then a really impressive creation inside Rise from folks like Zsolt. That latter one isn't for the feint of heart. 😉

Hope that helps!