change to prevent Rise 360 share link embed in iFrame

Jan 30, 2020

ON 6th April Articulate is changing the share link from Rise 360 to prevent embedding in iFrames on the web for security reasons. Are there any implications for already existing courses, already created, and already out there in iframes using a share link? will we have to retrospectively republish or is this only for new from 6 April?

16 Replies
Aileen Thome

We are also using the shared links for certain courses and would HIGHLY APPRECIATE if you didn't take that function from us

In some cases it makes sense to publish it to the web or host it on an lms but in others the link is the exact right option as it is easy and flexible in times of fast changes. There are many topics where data privacy is not an issue and I think everyone can decide for themselves when a link is okay for use and when we want to publish to web or lms.

I wish you'd strongly reconsider getting rid of the sharing via link function!

Aileen Thome

I'm not sure I understand. Isn't that the point? That the function to share a course with people who don't have an Articulate license via link isn't possible anymore, correct? 

We have an LMS, but in some cases we need the links because changes are made to the courses so frequently that it would cost us major amounts of time to update them in the LMS all the time. 

Brian Waters

We’re planning an update to Rise 360 that we want you to know about.

Currently, you can use the share link to embed Rise 360 content on a website using an iframe. This isn’t the best way to share content because malicious users could potentially impersonate Rise 360 content. That’s why we’re going to make an update that will prevent embedding of Rise 360 content using a share link. Instead, you’ll need to publish your course for web and embed that content on your site. You can learn more about the best ways to share your courses here.

We’re planning to implement this update on April 6, 2020.

Crystal Horn

Hi folks! I apologize for the confusion. I'd like to help clear up a few points:

• You can still send people the Share link so they can view your content!
  • If you've exported your course for LMS or web, you can embed that packaged content in a website or learning management system using an iframe.
  • On April 6, any website which is using an iframe code that includes the Share URL of a Rise 360 course will no longer display your course, no matter when the share link was generated.

This means if you add a Rise course to your website using this code: <iframe src="https://rise.articulate.com/share/1234567abcdef"></iframe>, it will stop working on that date.

We're happy to help with any questions or concerns. Just post them here or reach out to us directly!

Alyssa Gomez

That's right, Stephanie. We've pushed back the change to June 8, 2020. 

This article explains how to export a Rise 360 course to a web server and includes video tutorials for some free hosting options, such as Amazon S3 and Google Cloud. 

Once the Rise 360 content is hosted on your own server or an LMS, you can embed that link in an iframe. Click here to learn more. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.