Closed Captioning in RISE for videos

Jun 13, 2017

Hi there Heroes, 

In RISE, I want to embed a video. Simple enough. Select the embed option and paste in the video embed code. Done! 

The issue arises with closed captioning (CC) for certain video players. For Vimeo, it seems if the video has CC as an option, it shows up with the embed code. No problem here.

For YouTube, even when you own the YT video and have your CC settings to "always on" by default, copying a YT embed code into the embed option in RISE does not result in a YT player embedded with CC options. 

There are a lot of articles on the web that suggest to have CC enabled by default on a YT embedded video, you add the HTML code cc_load_policy=1 in the appropriate location within the embed code and it will work. It does not in RISE. 

Is this feature not available for RISE?

We want to be able to show CC in our videos, and since the other option of adding videos to RISE (from computer as a file) doesn't include a CC option, is there anything else we can try? Thanks. 

19 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Daniel, 

This one had me stumped for a bit! With some help from my team, I found there are couple of ways you can embed a YouTube video with closed captions in Rise:

• Use an Embed URL
    Add cc_load_policy=1 to the end of the YouTube embed URL. With this option, you may need to enable the closed captions by clicking the CC icon. But once you enable them, they'll stay turned on for any video you watch until you turn it off again. Here's an example:
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/CeYrpijNVKc?cc_load_policy=1
  • Use an Embed Code
    Add &cc_load_policy=1 to the SRC url in the embed code. With this option, the closed captions will be enabled even if you've turned off closed captions in YouTube. Here's an example:
    <iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CeYrpijNVKc?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0&cc_load_policy=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I used both of those options in a sample Rise course here. Give it a try, and let me know how it turns out on your end!

Renz Sevilla

Hi Vanessa! Thanks for reaching out! You can add a Vimeo video under the Embed block. 

Please click "All blocks" and on the left hand side menu > Multimedia Block > Embed Block. 

A new sample Vimeo block will appear. Click Edit in the top right of the block, then Change Video and paste the URL of your video. Hope that helps!

Christopher Santos

Hi Tami,

Thanks for reaching out to our support team to try and get your closed captions issue resolved.  I am glad you were able to find a workaround of using Storyline to export the video with CC.

If you ever want to continue investigating this, feel free to reopen your case with us, and we will be happy to help.

Deb Clemons

Thank you for getting back to me. It would be a great addition to the tool and helpful to elevate accessibility options.

Best Regards,
Debbie Clemons

Debbie Clemons (she/her) | Sr. Instructional Designer | US Learning & Development | US Region
People, Culture & Brand | Remote Worker | deborah.clemons@cibc.com

[CIBC]
Our purpose: To help make your ambition a reality

This message, including attachments, is confidential and may be privileged. If you received this in error, please notify me by reply email and delete this message.

Check out our US Learning Hub offers here