Completion issues with Rise courses

Jul 09, 2018

We have multiple learners across different instances experiencing the same issue:

A learner will work through their course and sees the sections checking off. Once they exit the course they are not seeing completion in Learndash. If the learner re-enters their course progress is saved and the sections are still checked off.

It seems the completion statement is sending but leaving the learner in this specific state.

The issue is not affecting all of our users and I unable to find a commonality between the users that are experiencing the issue.

The LMS we are using is Learndash.

We are exporting our courses as Tincan packages.

78 Replies
Désirée  Jochem

I tested it with a bunch of courses, but all courses tracking course completion seem to have the same problem - not sending the completion status once everything is viewed.

Since those courses are very short, all of them skip the index.html and don't have a side bar with additonal Rise lessons.

I'm only able to generate a "launch" -statement.

Edit: oh dear, the xAPI hinges on the index.html and its "start course" button. If I leave that page be, I can generate a "attempted" as well as a "passed" statement.

Is there any way to get xAPI to work without the index.html? 
Our courses are very small, so that page is a completely unnecessary click. I just changed the launch page to the lesson in the tincan.xml.

This is really important to us, so if you made it work, please respond!

Nova Knight

Hey,

I experienced a similar issue when building a short course that only consisted of a video.
To get the course to register as complete within our LMS system I had to include an Exit Course button as the very last action for the learner to complete.
To do this, add button and in content select from the drop down menu Exit the Course (LMS Only)
Hope that helps!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Désirée  Jochem

Hi Nova,

thanks for the tip!
I just tried adding a exit-button and tested it in Scorm Cloud, but I still don't get a passed statement. 

And if possible, I hope to do this without an extra button, since our LMS has a built-in exit button (that's supposed to turn green once the course registers as passed).

Alyssa Gomez

Hello Wee Shen Tan! 

When a learner re-takes a quiz multiple times within the same course attempt, we are going to send the most recent quiz score to the LMS upon exit. For example, if the learner fails a quiz first then passes it, we will send the most recent passing quiz score to the LMS.

Let me know if you have more questions about that!

Wee Shen Tan

Hi Alyssa,

For my case, it is not a quiz. It is a pure xAPI e-learning course. The
learner has the 100% status reflected in the xAPI course but the completion
status is not sent to the LMS. This happened only to some users, not all.
We suspect it is due to network issues.

However, if the learner re-attempt the course, even after going through the
pages again, the completion status is not send again. For this, we suspect
that it is due to the xAPI already has 100% and do not send the completion
status.

My question is if there is any way we could make the course send the
completion status again at subsequent re-attempt?

Crystal Horn

Hello, Wee Shen Tan. Thanks for those details. If there was a connection issue with these users, I would expect that their progress in the course would also be lost, and they'd start from the beginning automatically when launching the course again.

Without a way to see the communication between the course and the LMS with xAPI output, your LMS would be better able to help. Can they allow you to reset learners who initially weren't reported as complete?

Steve Wass

Hi thanks – yep the course shows as complete in the Rise module – no quiz – just a straight forward read the sections and EXIT course.

In all cases that have come back to me it has been that the course shows 100% in the left hand side and that the LMS is not recording as complete.

Screen shots below shows a bit more detail.

[cid:image001.png@01D56707.A242B390]
IE11 is version

[cid:image002.png@01D5670C.40E33C00]

When testing on Edge it is the same

[cid:image003.png@01D5670C.8EFEA820]

Chrome

[cid:572f3aed-baca-471c-8f6d-23369d8e1229]

[cid:b06d1e4f-fc1d-447e-abe2-afc1d7346842]

Regards

Steve Wass
eLearning team
07702 733362
When did YOU last look at the eLearning system – there loads of new stuff !! – CLICK HERE
And did you know you can access it from home – with the same login details?

The information contained in this email message may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, any review, dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email message in error, please notify the sender by reply email and delete the message and any attachments.

Steve Wass

Have sent over the course file, on case number 01962881

Steve Wass
eLearning Team
07702 733362
steve.wass@notts-fire.gov.uk
The information contained in this email message may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, any review, dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email message in error, please notify the sender by reply email and delete the message and any attachments.

Lyndon Baker

Hi all,

I have worked my way through this thread looking for an answer, but I can’t seem to find a solution to my dilemma.

The core of the issue is: Even though module shows as complete on the LRS, accessing the module again takes you back to the beginning of the module with all module progress unchecked. Being a navigation restricted course, this poses a big usability issue for learners who wish to refresh their knowledge before taking the assessment.

We are viewing in Chrome.

Our process is as follows:

• Export module as xAPI - The export settings used are xAPI tin can and tracked using course completion 100%, exit course link off.
  • xApi into Wordpress via the Grassblade xAPI plugin
  • A custom integration outputs Rise content via Grassblade shortcode
  • Progress in the module tracked to a separate Grassblade LRS installation
  • Learner completes the module; module gets recorded in LRS however the state of completion does not appear to be honoured in xAPI export.

Testing in SCORM Cloud shows the same behaviour. I recognise that Rise content exported for the Web resets as it has no way of storing state of completion and I was wondering if something similar was happening here?

Ideally, the solution for us would be for the learner to complete the module then should they feel they need to review the content they could go directly to the appropriate section all sections would all be unrestricted after first visit.

Any new ideas would be graciously received

Steve Wass

Can save you there - our LMS team have worked it through and it is a setting - in the case of moodle it is a double setting that caused the problem - the LMS requires completed as a requirement in order to show for the individual - but also for the minimum score on the course to be zero in order for that staus to be shown.

Hope this feedback helps - just resolved it this afternoon - so thanks for the assistance.

Steve

Steve Wass
eLearning Team
07702 733362
steve.wass@notts-fire.gov.uk

Aaron Fischer

I am experiencing an issue very similar to Lyndon. We are using LearnDash as our LMS and uploading Rise 360 content using Grassblade xAPI. Completion is tracked based on a quiz at the end of the course.

Our issue: As a user completes the course each section is marked as complete. If they exit the course and reopen it they will start where they left off, however, all of the sections that had been completed now show only partial completion.

If they completely finish the course the LRS will show that the course is complete but if they re-enter the course they will find that no sections are shown as complete. Sometime it will restart the entire course so it appears that they have made no progress at all.

Jon Dwyer

Hello. I have a client using UL/LearnShare LMS. They are just starting to use Rise, and with TinCan/xAPI. They have trouble with the course marking the LMS enrollment complete...although sometimes it does work - we haven't determined why. I am Support, and found instructions for using your debugger - only in SCORM though - and they republished as SCORM, I made the hack to turn on the debugger. I was able to launch the course, get 100% everywhere and the Results and Adios pages all congratulated me on completing the course successfully. Using Articulate debugger, our Icodeon Logger, and our LMS tool to watch the interaction data - there was no completion sent to the LMS - I was able to reproduce the problem, capture log data and screenshots. I have all available, have given them to the client for their Articulate point of contact - but I thought I'd post here too. Could you comment on my findings - I think they are similar to others on this post. Or...route me to a more appropriate support path? Thanks! Jon D, UL PURE Learning.

Yuki Hamade

I am having the same issue with 100% completion with LearnUpon. Learners are finishing the course and it shows as complete in Rise but the record is not transferring to the LMS. 

I am exporting as xAPI tin can. The exit course button is activated. 
In one case, I had a learner say each time she opened the Rise content her progress would get cleared so she finished the course multiple times and the LMS never showed her as being complete. 
I've gone back and looked in my LMS and only 2 people have actually "completed" the course so this is affecting our whole organization - one of those people I set as manually completed. Any suggestions?

Karl Muller

As I mentioned before this problem affects a very small number of our learners. Currently less than 1 percent.

The IT infrastructure for each organization is different, and we all use a different LMS, so it's hard to pinpoint a definitive problem.

For our organization it would appear that learners using Internet Explorer are more likely to experience this problem than users of other browsers. We moved one user from IE to Chrome and the problem stopped immediately. 

However there are many Internet Explorer users that don't have this problem.

This may have no bearing on your problem, but it is starting to look like Internet Explorer being a common denominator for us. I would like to narrow it down more than that (OS, IE version, etc) but with such small numbers, it is hard to justify dedicating resources to this problem.