Continue button - Complete All Blocks Above

May 06, 2019

We're creating a course in Rise with multiple lessons. I'd like to have the same interaction at the end of each lesson so when readers get to the very end of the Rise course, I can include a final Continue button and select Complete All Blocks Above so that if they haven't completed that little interaction at the end of every earlier lesson, the Continue button will remind them to complete all blocks above before letting them continue.

So I first tried adding a Continue button at the end of each lesson as my interaction, but after reading some Articulate articles about what types of interactions trigger the change of the Continue button from Complete All Blocks to Continue, I don't think the Continue button counts as one of those interactions. So I scrapped that.

Then I tried the checkbox option. From what I read, the checkbox list block should count as a block that would have to be completed in order to trigger my Continue button at the end to let them continue. However, if I add a checkbox on any of the earlier lessons, my final Continue button still automatically goes to Continue and doesn't force the user to go back and check that box if they didn't check it in the earlier lesson(s). 

What am I missing? And maybe there's a much better way of accomplishing what I'm trying to accomplish. We just want some kind of action to force them to make sure they've gone through all blocks before they exit since we're tracking by 100% completion. Some lessons don't include any other interaction to complete besides what I'm describing here. Hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help. 

9 Replies
Anthony Karcz

Hey, Katie! Unfortunately, the continue button isn't set up to monitor cross-lesson block completion, it only tracks block completion in the lesson in which it's contained.

What you could do is restrict navigation so that, in order for learners to continue forward, they must complete the lesson they're in. You can read more about controlling navigation here

Hope that helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Katie Wood

Thanks, Anthony! I knew that was one option, but I was hoping for something that just encouraged overall completion but not necessarily in sequential order. I'd like to leave the option open for skipping around out of order. But I might need to fall back on this option. So thanks for the suggestion.

One thing I realized I may be misunderstanding is the "Complete All Blocks Above" option with the Continue button. I was thinking that this setting would require completion of all blocks before the current one throughout the entire course, not just all blocks within the current lesson. Does that setting mean it requires completion of only the blocks within the current lesson? 

Thanks for your help!

Kristopher Tharris

I have a similar question that I am running in to I am hoping you can help with.

Do the 'complete all blocks above' continue buttons cover all blocks in the lesson above the bar, or just those up to the previous continue bar?  

Example scenario:

1. Block
  2. Block
  3. Block
  4. Continue (complete block directly above)
  5. Block
  6. Block
  7. Block
  8. Continue (complete all blocks above)

To get past #4 only #3 must be complete. To get past #8, do 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 have to be complete? Or only 5, 6, 7?

I've tried some testing but I'm not confident.

Katie Stern

Hi Anthony, I have a similar question. I have a Storyline block that has several buttons per slide. I want learners to click each button before advancing to the next slide within the same block. Across our course, there are a total of five Storyline blocks with a few slides apiece. Therefore our LMS would only be able to track one of the five blocks. What's our best way of assuring that learners have clicked each button within each slide within each block? (Whew!) Thanks for any insights you can give!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Katie!

It sounds like you want learners to click all buttons on a Storyline slide before moving to the next slide in your Storyline Block. To do that, you'll need to add some triggers to your Storyline slide. 

This handy Storyline tutorial should get you going in the right direction! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.