Copying and pasting content into Rise, ensuring the current formatting in Rise is preserved

Jan 06, 2022

I am creating block templates, with predefined formatting (i.e. font size and color). I want to be able to copy and paste content into these templates, while preserving the formatting of the text. 

Currently, when I paste content into Rise (using 'Paste as Plain Text') the formatting in Rise gets overwritten, and I have to reformat the text to the size and color that is required. This somewhat defeats my intended purpose of the block template.  

Is this issue due to something I am doing wrong? 

Or is it not possible to preserve the formatting of the text when pasting into Rise? 

15 Replies
Karl Muller

Hi Aimee,

We have created a Block Template for every Rise block type used by our organization. These block templates are styled and formatted to match the visual style guide of our organization.

When we build a new Rise course, we only use blocks from the Block Template library. It saves a lot of time, and also ensures style consistency between team members.

Jeff Forrer

Hello.  Any update from Articulate on this issue?

1. It would be really nice to be able to copy anything in Rise, paste it elsewhere and formatting holds.  For example if I made something a specific font, size, and format, then copy it elsewhere, all formatting is lost and I have to repeat all of the formatting over and over, a huge time waste and a huge time saver if fixed.
  2. The same goes for when using the color palette.  For example I use 005195 blue (for the last 4 years) with a client on specific text they want colored.  I have to continually type in that color code whenever I want to use it vs. setting it as a saved color in the palette such as in Storyline, or being able to copy and paste the color and have it hold.  This would save me hours/days of time.

Thank you!

Jeff Forrer

Thanks Karl, I do use Block Templates continually, and they are definitely helpful in many cases, but it would be really nice to be able to copy/paste formatting.  I have specific emphasis words that need to be blue all over the place for my client (their brand color), using templates doesn't really help in this case.

Also, in all interactives, you can't use blocks within them.  For example if you have a Flashcard Stack, set one Flashcard the way you like with formatting, it would be great to copy that text to the next Flashcard, however all formatting is lost including color, so you have to redo all the formatting over and over.  A huge time loss.

Justin Slabbekoorn
Karl Muller

Hi Jeff,

What I've done for your item 2, is to create Block Templates from blocks that have the correct formatting and colors applied.

Now when I need to insert a block, I insert the previously formatted  Block Templates, instead of blocks from the regular block library. 

Hi Karl,

I have also created Block Templates that have the correct colors applied. However, whenever I copy multiple paragraphs of text from a Word document, it appears as black/default Rise colored text. The color set for that Block Template only remains when I copy and paste paragraphs one by one. Do you experience this as well, or do you have a workaround for that?

Regarding tables: color and bold formatting is kept when I copy a table from Excel, but not when I copy it from Word. Also, copying it from Excel, I get different row heights compared to when I copy a table from Word.

Shela Block

I would also like to be able to copy formatted text from within Rise to be re-used somewhere within the same module without losing style/formatting. 

At a minimum, it would be really helpful if I could highlight the text and see the HEX for the text, so I can replicate it. Currently, I don't see a way to check the HEX colour for text that already exists within a Rise module.