Course Completion

Feb 24, 2021

I have a Rise course set to Track using course completion 100%.  It has four lessons.  3 lessons are content and the 4th lesson has two questions and three storyline blocks.  We are publishing it with xAPI.

About 20-25% of our learners are unable to get the course tom complete in the LMS.  Although similar courses seem to complete fine.  It does not seem relate to what browser they are using.

A couple questions:

In this case when does Articulate send the message that the 4th module is complete.  Is it when they open the last SL block?  Or when they complete the SL block?

Any idea for what I can troubleshoot?  I have not created a debug file yet.  Thank you.

7 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hello, Christiana! 

The course will be marked 100% complete as soon as the very last block is viewed in the final lesson. If you added a continue button at the bottom of the lesson, the learner would have to click that continue button to be considered 100% complete.

Some LMS's won't receive completion data unless you include an Exit Course link inside your Rise 360 course. Crystal shared more detail about that in her post here.

There are two ways you can add Exit Course functionality to your course:

1. Add a button block, and set the button destination to "Exit Course."
  2. Publish the course for LMS, and on the publishing screen, toggle the "Exit Course" link to ON.

Test the course again after adding the Exit Course button or link, and let me know if that resolves the issue!

Cristiana Williams

Thanks Alyssa.  Adding the Exit course button and republishing is a work around for this issue and it allows the course to complete.  However, learners are no longer required to complete the SL interaction, just to get to the first screen, which is not what we wanted.  We didn't need to toggle the Exit Course link to on for whatever reason.  The other three modules in the group work fine without the exit course button, so we were hoping to keep them all the same without having to republish them all.  It seems to be related to the course completion criteria and when those details are received by our LMS, so thank you for the workaround.  We may have to add a lesson with just one item, after the SL interaction, so that learners will have to complete the SL interaction in order to receive completion for the module.

Mary McGuinness

Hi Cristiana and Alyssa,

I am in a similar position to Cristiana here. I want to publish my courses WITHOUT the exit course link, as it interferes with the interface in our LXP. At present, the courses are marking as complete upon launch, when what we want is for the courses to mark as complete upon interaction with all elements of the course.

Any guidance around how to configure the settings in Rise to prevent completion until all interaction has happened, is much appreciated.

Thank you!