Course Lesson: Automatically Numbers in Preview Mode

May 16, 2022

Hi,

I've got an issue when I'm in preview mode: the lesson numbers at the bottom when I go to proceed with the course are different that what's on the left side. I've tried EVERYTHING to re-number them or re-type the lesson number but to no avail. Attaching screenshots. But it ONLY shows up when I'm previewing the entire course, not just editing/previewing one lesson.

Fore example, I'm finishing up a Lesson 1 quiz, and it wants me to continue to lesson 3! Also, I'm in a lesson 3 course and it wants me to continue to "lesson 5- lesson 4"... not just one lesson...so confused.

*side note, I did not create these courses, but the coworker who did is now off the project...so that's tough.

1 Reply
Karl Muller

Hi Morgan,

in any Rise course, if you open Settings / Navigation there is a setting Previous & Next buttons.

This setting (if ON) is what's causing the Lesson numbers and names to be displayed at the top (previous Lesson) and bottom (next Lesson) of every Lesson page.

Rise automatically numbers all of the Lessons in your course based on the order in which they appear in your Course structure, and will display Lesson 1, Lesson 2, Lesson 3 etc. That's where the first Lesson X- comes from.

Rise completely ignores the numbering system you have used and manually entered for your Lessons. 

In your screenshots, some items are nor labelled as a "Lesson", e.g. Check your knowledge".

Rise doesn't care about this, and will still label that item as "Lesson 3-Check your knowledge"".

That's why the numbering gets out of synch and you are seeing Lesson 5-Lesson 4, etc. 

Solutions

We are in exactly the same situation.

If you are going to continue using the Previous & Next buttons setting, your options are limited.

What we did was to edit the course Label set, and changed the word Lesson to Item.

So using your example, the impact would be:

Item1- Lesson 1: Manufacturers' statement of origin

Item 2 - Check your knowledge

Item 3 - Lesson 2: Vehicle Title Security Features

Certainly messy and not perfect. At least your won't have Lesson 5 - Lesson 4.