Create a Table of Content and/or Index on ~50 Rise Courses?

Jan 10, 2022

Hi:

We've created a little over 50 new Rise courses and are looking for options to create a hyperlinked — ideally — or a table of contents.

My first thought was to export a Course as a PDF and use Acrobat DC built-in Index building feature, but apparently, the Rise PDF export is not "seen" as a typical PDF. 

Next tried OCR on the Rise PDF and then build index, again to no avail.

Apps, services, ideas & options for how to best create the index for our content are greatly apprectiated.

Thanks!

Postscript: so, after reading what an Adobe Index actually is (🤪), I wanted to update the question.

An Adobe Catalog Index is an embedded (non-visible) file that makes Searching a PDF or collection of PDFs much quicker. 

The Catalog/Index does not create an viewable Index to append to the pages as a Index.

4 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi there, Scott! To get a bit more focused help from the community, can you share some details around where you'll be hosting your Rise 360 content for learners? For example, will you be exporting them as SCORM packages and placing them in a learning management system? Or are you looking to index Rise 360 PDF output as resources?

Just a note, though you may already be aware: Rise 360 PDFs are not interactive. They're geared more toward having a hard copy for compliance and reference.

Rachel Moore

Hi, Crystal,

We export our Rise courses to LearnDash using the xAPI option. Here’s a bit more information about what’s happening:

We've created an index on our site so users can look for specific content across our Rise courses. Currently the index will link to the lesson that contains the needed information, but will not go directly to the needed section within that lesson.

One of two things occur when users select a link from the index:

1) They jump to the lesson’s homepage if they've never done work in the lesson before. Then they have to scroll down the (very long) menu to the correct section and subsection.

OR

2) They jump to the exact spot in the lesson they were at if they'd previously done work in there. They again have to scroll through the menu to find the right section and subsection.

I can't just copy/paste the link to the correct section because my user data comes along with it (anyone’s would). Is there a way for users to click the link in the index and jump them right to the correct section, but with their unique users data coming along?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, Rachel! Thanks for sharing the details of your setup.

Rise doesn't have a native feature that allows you to link to a specific lesson or block when a course is hosted on a LMS. When a learner opens a course hosted on a LMS, the course should resume to the top of the last-viewed lesson.

It sounds like you've created a custom solution for linking to a specific lesson in the course, but there isn't a way to send the learner to a specific block. I'll open the floor to the community to share their experiences with you!