Exporting plain text from RISE 360

Sep 09, 2020

I have seen a few old conversations related to exporting text from RISE but none of them address our biggest need which is to be able to export the full text of a course in an easily readable/editable format. I know you can export an .xliff file or export the whole course to .pdf but neither of those actually addresses our needs to be able to provide editable text to reviewers and to either internal staff or local translators working overseas (in Africa and Asia) who do not have access to the software that can read .xliff files.  So far I have not had a single project where someone doesn't insist on getting a version of the text that they can make track changes to (despite having the option of using the 'review' function), nor have I had a single case where we are able to get the text 100% final before building the course - which means having to put time and effort into maintaining a separate google doc version of the text for every course.  Are there any plans to introduce a feature to export text to Word? (or PPT, or google docs, or even Notepad)

24 Replies
Grace Durnford

Hi Alyssa,

Downloading the course as a .pdf then converting it to Word does not solve
the problem. When I have tried that the text only comes through mostly
correct (missing letters, weird alignment and spacing) and would require a
significant amount of editing to get it looking clean enough to provide to
a reviewer.

Best,
Grace

Beth Williams

Alyssa,

We are offering face to face and online supplemental materials for a Code Enforcement course. We need the online material to be converted to PPT for those instructors who will be teaching the F2F course and utilizing the content to share with students in the F2F. This why the PPT is needed.

Right now I am having to take the course, convert to PDF, convert to Word, format, convert to PPT finish with editing. This process is taking forever.

Hope you can help.

Thanks,

[cid:image002.png@01D6964B.EFB21F70]

Contact Terri Tart terri.tart@ncdoi.gov for all questions regarding exams and certifications (QBOARD)

[cid:image004.jpg@01D6964B.EFB21F70]

Mehkta Waney

Thanks for your reply Karl! 

I actually tried that option using Adobe Acrobat, however, all the text inside the interactive part (flip card, accordion, etc) is hard to edit, without me doing a major redesign of that chunk.

I should probably clarify what I'm trying to achieve: in addition to the Rise course itself, I was trying to provide the PDF version of the course so that staff can easily access it as a job aid/handout (without having to go back to the LMS). 

Currently, the exported PDF course is not formatted well---some elements/chunks are cut in between pages in weird places (e.g. in the middle of a flip card image, in the middle of a quote image, etc). Please see the attachment. 

It would be nice if in Rise we have an opportunity to preview and edit the PDF version of the course before it gets exported. 

Darrell DeRochier

I'm chiming in on the request for a .txt or Word compatible export option. I'm currently contracting for Microsoft and we're required to run a compliance check on all course text prior to publishing the course internally. While we usually draft the course text in Word and then copy it into Rise, we almost always do some text editing in Rise. This means we have to copy the text back out of Rise so we can run the compliance check on the version we intend to publish. Being able to export a .txt file would streamline our workflow tremendously. 

Ben Jones

Any updates on exporting text versions of courses?

We are trying to meet some accessibility needs by including supplemental PDF versions of our courses. Those PDFs need to meet WCAG 2.1 accessibility requirements. Not being able to export a text version of the courses is a HUGE barrier to that. The exported PDFs don't contain alt text for images and Adobe Acrobat views text inside accordions as images, so it's basically just a big ol mess. The only option is to copy and paste the text from the course in rise 360 to a Word Document (including images and their alt text), but that's very time consuming and creates a lot of room for error.

Anne De Felice

I would also like to request an easier way to export all the text from Rise for SME reviews/edits.

I wanted to have a Word document with all the text. The only way I could do it was to export all the text using the xliff file, and open the file in Excel. I then copied the text and pasted it into Word. However, all the text is in one big block, so it is very time-consuming to format the text. 

It would be great to be able to to have a format similar to the Storyline translation feature, which creates a Word document with the two columns containing all the text. This feature is very organized. https://articulate.com/support/article/Storyline-360-Enhanced-Word-Translation#exportoptions

FYI I found a link with instructions on viewing xliff files with excel. https://medium.com/collaborne-engineering/how-to-view-xliff-files-with-excel-fcbab6548f6

Scott Hewitt

Hello. 

xliff files are files used in localisation/translation. Until a straight export is providing you can use the xliff file to export the text and then you need to use localisation software to review the text. 

There are lots of free localisation tools where you can upload the xliff file and then see your output. You might need to go through the process of translating to another language but you'll get a double column document with your original content formatted for you. 

You still need to copy and past, but its a lot easier from a localisation file than an excel file!

Scott Hewitt

An update - we've needed to export text from Rise for several projects to build a script for voiceover and for final project files. 

We've tried several things including copy/paste, XLIFF to Excel and also using some translation tools (there are some free tools out there)

We've included what we found here, included a step by step on how to use a localisation tool, which might be useful if you are want to do a translation as well. 

https://www.realprojects.co.uk/how-to-extract-and-use-text-from-rise-360/

Matt Shoemaker

I'm also going to ask why we don't have the option to export a text-based version (Word) of a rise course, directly from rise?

Looking at the feed this has been requested for the past 4 years, surely this is not that much of a task and would benefit so many of your subscription paying clients.

Exporting to PDF and then exporting to Word via Adobe Acrobat does not capture 100% of the text.