File Downloaded in SCORM ends the interaction

Dec 29, 2023

Hi,

I have uploaded a SCORM package created in Rise to the Moodle LMS. I noticed that after the user downloads a file in the course there is nowhere for the user to go except to click 'X' and end the interaction. It does not go back to the course. When I click the navigation to the bottom of the page, nothing happens.

I am not sure if this is a problem with Moodle or with Rise. Has anyone else experienced this problem? 

I have attached a video of what I am experiencing.

3 Replies
Tim St. Clair

Couple of things are the problem here - one, Rise doesn't open a download link in a new tab/window; two, the file is being previewed by your browser because it probably has a setting to handle pdf files internally (I think Chrome/Edge have this on by default).

So what it is doing is replacing the SCORM package with the PDF preview, but since you are both in a frameset and a popup window, it doesn't have the regular "Back" button functionality of the browser to easily get the user back to the content (and Moodle has no standard navigation built-in to its popup windows).

You might need to get your learners to configure their browsers to not handle PDF previews. I don't think there's a way to get Rise to open download files in a new tab (though it would fix the problem).

You might also consider opening the SCORM package in the same page rather than a popup window, so at least the user has a chance at finding their way back to the course content again, rather than having to close the window and launch it again.