force storyline block execution even when out of focus

Jan 28, 2021

Hello,

I have a rise lesson with a storyline360 block that just does a bunch of stuff automatically with triggers where no user interaction is needed. However it seems timeline/trigger execution is halted as soon as the storyline block is offscreen or if the browser window loses focus.

I want the storyline block to execute no matter if it is visible/in focus or not. I have a continue block directly above the SL block and once press the button I want it to start execution and continue until it is done no matter where it is.

Is that at all possible?

6 Replies
Jeremy Schulz

after some further testing it seems that this behaviour is very inconsistent. It happens only in some browsers/browser versions.

Sometimes people on the same browser version have differeing behaviours.

And when you export the course and put it in eg. a moddle lms it is also sometimes different.

All in all, i have no idea what is happening and how to prevent it :)

Chino Navarro

Hi Jeremy,

To confirm, the Storyline block plays automatically without any issue, right? The issue happens when the Storyline block is out of view, the timeline stops, and the triggers don't run? If I got that correct, that is expected behavior.

What kind of executions do you need your Storyline block to do?

Jeremy Schulz

yes, the block autoplays perfectly until it goes off screen.
I was just using the storyblock to force a timer on the user. During the timer the user was supposed to work on questions in the blocks before so the user would obviously scroll back up to look at the questions, making the timer go off screen.