Glossary in Rise 360

May 21, 2020

Has anyone found a way to create a glossary in Rise 360 that is easily and readily available for learners, as needed?  This can be done in Storyline 360 by including it as a resource but I haven't figured out a workaround for Rise.

Any assistance is appreciated!!

30 Replies
Patrick Finnegan

I understand this is an old thread. I came here hoping that there were other answers, but it seems not yet. However,  here's what I am doing right now.

Create a lesson called "Glossary" and place it at the end of the lesson menu, usually in a "Resources" section.

Create the glossary content with any Rise element or combination of elements you want. (List, Accordion, etc.)

Instead of adding the glossary itself to every lesson, add a link to it using the Button interactive element. I usually place the button at the top of each lesson, but some clients prefer the bottom, and you can also just place it at whatever points seem appropriate.

If you have more then one glossary or want to break the glossary up into sections, create more than one glossary "lesson" and instead of using a button, use a button stack.

The only issue this creates is getting back to the original location from where you clicked the Glossary button. Since there very limited conditional processing in Rise, there no great solution that I can see.  The only possibility I can think of is to make more than one copy of the glossary for each Glossary button and add a "Return" button to the original lesson. Not perfect, I know, but it's something anyway.

Another author mentioned a concern with course completion if completion is based on %  viewed. I've solved that issue in the past by adding a requirement that the learner at least visit the Glossary once. You can do this as a course walkthrough that demonstrates the interface and resources to make it seem more natural that a visit is required.

And of course, a button interaction is an interaction after all, so you can add one in the walkthrough and not let the learner proceed until they have taken a quick look at it using the conditional continue element.

Of course many more options are available if you create the glossary as a Storyline or Engage element. 

Hope this helps.

Patrick Finnegan

I've solved the completion issue in the past by adding a requirement that the learner at least visit the Glossary once. You can do this as a course walkthrough that demonstrates the interface and resources. A button interaction is an interaction after all, so you can add one in the walkthrough and not let the learner proceed until they have taken a quick look at it.