Hooking up Rise 360 to TalentLMS - (new info received from TalentLMS)

So I created a sample course in Rise and exported it as Scorm 1.2. I imported into TalentLMS but TalentLMS wasn't detecting that the course was complete unless I refreshed the browser. Talent asked if ScormCloud showed it as working correctly and I replied, "yes".

TalentLMS said that Rise 360 was set up to create "popup", not "embeded" units...and that ScormCloud is based on "popup" and that's why it performed correctly.

So...is this true? Are Rise 360 courses only working correctly if done with "popup" in TalentLMS?

TIA,

Harry

3 Replies
Kennet Fagerstrand

Hi!

We've been using talentLMS for a long time, and started using Rise for a couple of months ago. 

We are also investigating the pop-up vs embedded in TalentLMS. Indeed the courses look much better as a pop-up, but during testing, we've found quite a lot of pitfalls using that method. 

First off, it is vital that the user clicks "exit course" in order for Talent to remember where the user is in the Rise course. If the learner simply closes the page (like most people do), the Rise course will open at the start page, and all the progress is lost. Talent will indeed not show any progress in the course, but at least the learner saves his progress in the rise course as long as he uses that exit course button. 

Another bad thing about the pop-up, is that links in the Rise course opens in the original browser window, next to the talent-window where the rise course was launched. Most people will navigate back to that tab, instead of finding their open Rise window. Then, they'll click back in the Talent tab, and re-launch a new version of Rise, causing the Rise course to start over, and the progress is lost. 

Perhaps we'll change to the embedded option, as that seems to save the progress better. I think alot of learners will mess up if we use the pop-up, as long as it opens in a new window, rather than a new tab. The funny thing is that different devices and browsers handles it differently. Most opens it in a new window (which is bad imo, based on the descriptions above), but for example Chrome on a mac will open it in a new tab.

Is there anything Articulate can do to make sure the Rise course is opened in another tab, rather then a window? 

If we are to use the embedded feature today, one bad thing is that the course window is not maximized, which is distracting. I tried to edit the size of the embedded window, which looks decent on desktop, but on phone you can't view the entire height, and therefore can't access the "next page"-button in Rise, in order to move forward in the course.