Hooking up Rise 360 to TalentLMS - (new info received from TalentLMS)

Aug 30, 2019

So I created a sample course in Rise and exported it as Scorm 1.2. I imported into TalentLMS but TalentLMS wasn't detecting that the course was complete unless I refreshed the browser. Talent asked if ScormCloud showed it as working correctly and I replied, "yes".

TalentLMS said that Rise 360 was set up to create "popup", not "embeded" units...and that ScormCloud is based on "popup" and that's why it performed correctly.

So...is this true? Are Rise 360 courses only working correctly if done with "popup" in TalentLMS?

TIA,

Harry

21 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi there, Harry. To confirm, in SCORM Cloud I can launch the course either in the same window or in a new window. Getting to the end of the last lesson of a course that requires 100% completion is reporting correctly for me with both launch behaviors.

If anyone has experience with TalentLMS, please chime in!

Kennet Fagerstrand

Hi!

We've been using talentLMS for a long time, and started using Rise for a couple of months ago. 

We are also investigating the pop-up vs embedded in TalentLMS. Indeed the courses look much better as a pop-up, but during testing, we've found quite a lot of pitfalls using that method. 

First off, it is vital that the user clicks "exit course" in order for Talent to remember where the user is in the Rise course. If the learner simply closes the page (like most people do), the Rise course will open at the start page, and all the progress is lost. Talent will indeed not show any progress in the course, but at least the learner saves his progress in the rise course as long as he uses that exit course button. 

Another bad thing about the pop-up, is that links in the Rise course opens in the original browser window, next to the talent-window where the rise course was launched. Most people will navigate back to that tab, instead of finding their open Rise window. Then, they'll click back in the Talent tab, and re-launch a new version of Rise, causing the Rise course to start over, and the progress is lost. 

Perhaps we'll change to the embedded option, as that seems to save the progress better. I think alot of learners will mess up if we use the pop-up, as long as it opens in a new window, rather than a new tab. The funny thing is that different devices and browsers handles it differently. Most opens it in a new window (which is bad imo, based on the descriptions above), but for example Chrome on a mac will open it in a new tab.

Is there anything Articulate can do to make sure the Rise course is opened in another tab, rather then a window? 

If we are to use the embedded feature today, one bad thing is that the course window is not maximized, which is distracting. I tried to edit the size of the embedded window, which looks decent on desktop, but on phone you can't view the entire height, and therefore can't access the "next page"-button in Rise, in order to move forward in the course. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Kennet,

Thanks for sharing your experience with Rise 360 in TalentLMS. There isn't a way to ensure a Rise 360 course opens in a new tab rather than a new window, since that behavior is controlled by the web browser. 

Hopefully other folks using the same LMS can chime in with helpful tips. 

Alison Saren

Hi Harry, 

I had learned the same thing, but I think I just figured out a work around here.  I published my rise course and added the "exit course" link.  I added to TalentLMS as embedded and it seems to refresh and mark complete without the popup.  The key here will be i'm sure, to clearly instruct the learner to click the link to move on.

Here are the settings I used if it is helpful:

Articulate Rise Publish Settings:

TalentLMS supports SCORM 1.2 and Tin Can publishing (not SCORM 2004).
Export Type: LMS
LMS:  SCORM 1.2
Tracking:  Track using course completion 100%
Reporting:  Passed/Incomplete
Exit Course Link: ON

TalentLMS Settings:

Unit Name:  same as course name
File Select:  Publish SCORM 1.2 File (.zip)
Show as: Embedded
Size:  1080 Width (Height calculates automatically when left blank)
When failed retain the failed status upon retries (unchecked)

Alison Saren

Hi Stephanie, 

I happened to see this and thought I would share my experience so far...TalentLMS allows you to use embedded Rise courses and a pop out.  The feedback we have received is that people prefer the pop-out versions because it helps with the design and scaling of the Rise Modules.  You can finagle the settings in the LMS so that it can be viewed larger, but it doesn't seem the same.  Overall, Rise and SL SCORM files work nicely in TalentLMS, and users seem to enjoy the dynamic content changes within a course.  The only complaint - is that when a SCORM file is set to complete, there is an extra blank screen within the LMS that users have to click an additional "complete" button before moving on.  It's annoying, but we change the exit message to acknowledge this so people know it is not an error.  Overall its been a good experience so far.

Global Education Center

We use embedded Rise courses in Talent. Our user feedback was that they preferred the embedded courses instead of the pop out, but the transition back to the LMS is still a little awkward, but we've also changed our exit message to make it a little more clear to the end user. 

I really wish Talent had a user forum. We have some complex problems that I'd love to talk to other users about to brainstorm solutions. 

Alison Saren

Agreed.  We have trouble satisfying a seamless user experience one way or the other.  We had also experienced issues with updating the content as embedded (would get a blank gray screen many times).  We also switched to pop up to try to avoid this, as the behavior could be replicated but was unpredictable.  

Action Pact

Hi,

Just wanted to share my own experience... We have SCORM courses built with Captivate, Storyline and Rise and they are all experiencing issues completing and saving progress in TalentLMS. I have a case open and am waiting to hear back.

I hope changing from embedded to pop-up is not the solution because, like previous people pointed out, users get confused.

Harry Carter

So, Amanda, Ali, Global...

There seem to be two different schools of thought on this one regarding either embedded or popup. Gee, such a nice LMS TalentLMS is. Just a tweak here or there it seems and it would be amazing. I've been tinkering with the idea of going with Rise.com but for the price, it feels a bit weak. Any thoughts? Damn, I keep going in circles here, probably because I want this to be right...and am almost bewildered at why there hasn't been more input as far as user experiences about all we've posted here. Thank you.

Hanne Drageseth

Hi Amanda! 

Have you heard back regarding this issue? We have courses built in Rise, and are experiencing issues with saving progress in Talent LMS. We got feedback on our scorm-files beeing too large, and with Talent only supporting Scorm 1.2, we were advised to rather use xAPI when exporting our courses to the LMS. However, we are still experiencing the same issue with saving progress! 

Another issue we have experienced, is problems with updating an existing scorm or xAPI. Users in progress get a blank screen, or a never ending loading symbol. So this is not something we have had success with. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, Linn! There are a couple of things I wanted to point out that will hopefully help:

• Course not resuming in TalentLMS:

Some LMS's won't resume properly unless you include an Exit Course link inside your Rise 360 course. Crystal shared more detail about that in her post here.

Try adding an Exit Course button or link, then test the course again in TalentLMS. Let me know if that resolves the issue!

• Updated output file results in a blank screen:

Were you able to clear the suspend data when you uploaded the updated file to your LMS?

We recommend clearing the suspend data because the new version may not understand the suspend data from the older version, and when that happens, you may see a blank screen. The only other option would be to upload the updated version as a new item in your LMS.

Hanne Drageseth

We added the "Exit Course" link a while ago, after testing and reaching the same conclusion as you describe. In addition, we have provided our learners with instructions to use this button, so we are quite positive that they are using the "Exit Course" link. 

We did indeed clear the suspend data when we uploaded the file to our LMS, so that didn´t help. However, this was only an option using SCROM. When we exported an xAPI file, we didn´t get that option. 

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks for the additional insight, Linn. If you'd like an extra pair of eyes on your course, we'd be happy to help you with testing. You can send us your xAPI output file by clicking here, and we'll let you know if we see anything out of the ordinary. We'll delete your files when we're done troubleshooting. 

Wendy Watson

Hello,

This may not fit here but since it's a Talent LMS question, I hope one of you can help me sort this out. I have a course with 8 units build in Storyline 360. To pass the course learners must complete the assessment (3 hotspot quiz questions) in the last unit. Right now when a learn fails this assessment the Talent LMS is prompting them to try again.  However, the unit in Storyline is set for one attempt for each of these quiz questions with the navigation locked as there is only one attempt allowed.  I've been going back and forth with Talent and it seems I might have the wrong settings set up in the Storyline unit which is giving Talent LMS the message to prompt learners to retake the quiz.  I'm sure it's error on my part, but I'm just not getting it.  Can any of you who are using Talent with Storyline 360 help me out here?

Doe it need to loaded as a pop up? Is there a completion setting in Storyline needed? Do I need to add a end course button to this?

Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!

Wendy

Carol Davis

Hi, 

Thanks for this great info. I'm also publishing to Talent LMS and am looking for some clarification. Your settings show "track using course completion 100%", but I recently read in another thread/or from Articulate staff that it should be "Track using Storyline block" and to add block on the next to the last screen. 

Two questions re above: 1. What tracking settings should be used? 2. Is the Storyline block REALLY added on the next to the last screen? Why not the last screen? Thank you!

Harry Carter

HI All,

Just an update to the hooking up of Rise 360 to Talent LMS, thing.

It's working perfectly. Here's a rundown of what we're doing. Our courses are video intensive .

1) Took our live courses and broke then down into smaller videos. All videos are hosted elsewhere.

2) Miscellaneous non-scored quizzes in between.

3) Final Quiz at end that Is scored.

We have an "Exit Course" option at top right.

Evidently, Talent LMS made some slight changes because there seems to be zero confusion on the learner's side and the courses open and close very easily.

We're very happy to have gone this route.

Regards,

Harry