How do I remove course image from the new theme section

Jul 19, 2022

Essentially, what the title says!

I'm just about to export a collection of Rise courses which act as modules within a larger course in our LMS, but now any Rise course I touch gets a blatantly stock image assigned to it. 

Yes, I know I can replace these but for consistency, we are just sticking with brand colours. Is there a delete option? 

30 Replies
David Tait

Further to this, every time I open an existing course, the image that displays in the dashboard changes from the flat colour I had previously specified to a stock photo. 

I have had to create a 1px square SVG image in the colour of my choice and have specified this as my 'cover image' but I don't think this should be necessary. Please can we have the option to roll without an image?

David Tait

The problem is, that if like me, you have an existing course that doesn't require a cover image, the image is replaced by the custom theme colour. In my case, this is what I want. However, every new course I open with those existing settings, now by default has a cover image loaded in to it that displays on the Rise dashboard thumbnail, regardless of the settings shown in your example above.

A way to remove this woiuld be well received!

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks, David! You're correct -- the pre-selected course image you're seeing on the main menu page while editing isn't used anywhere in the course unless you select a theme that uses a cover image.

However, you will see the pre-selected image on the course card. Feel free to change that image to something that makes sense for your course! 

Here are a few screenshots to help explain what I mean:

1. The pre- selected image appears on course main menu page during editing:

2. The image does not appear on the course itself (unless you select a theme that uses it):

3. The image appears on course card on the main Rise 360 dashboard:

David Tait

Thanks for the reply. My frustration is that I have numerous courses that have previously only had a flat colour that has been used as the course card in the dashboard, the colour was taken automatically from my theme's accent colour when I hadn't specified a cover image, usually at the request of a client's brand guidelines. 

Having to specify a replacement image across all of these courses is an unwelcome new step that I'll have to undertake whenever I open an existing course. For example, this morning I've had to add a 1px square SVG as my cover image, just to have the course cards in my dashboard look how my clients like them to look when I transfer ownership of the courses.

Personally I think this is an oversight that should be tweaked to allow for a course to roll without an image in the course card, and instead, allow for a flat colour as many existing courses already have. I don't think it's right that people with existing courses are required to make changes to get around the effects of new functionality.

Chris Rowe

Exactly the same frustrations as David has explained above, I do not have the option to remove the course image on existing courses which seem to have now adopted the image which was used for the front page. Any help on removing the course image (not changing it) would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Daniel Furr

This is a terrible feature. Please consider rolling this one back. New "features" are supposed to make our jobs easier, not more frustrating. There are already so many features out there that customers have been requesting for years that haven't been implemented, and yet you release these changes that nobody asked for. If you're going to just keep the feature anyway, at least consider making it so that it doesn't retroactively change existing trainings.

Emma Page

Yes!!! Our team work across different faculties/schools at our organisation and the colours are the branding for each school or faculty. I'm working with 2 different programmes at the moment so just knowing that the light blue tile is school of education, for example, makes things so much more efficient

Rise 0

I have posted already extensively my opinion of the priority of releasing this feature before many others i can think of... However, i welcome this feature in the following scenarios:

For companies, using internally and externally one brand.
This is a first step towards possibly? having global ( branding one for all in the team ) branding controlled from one place., from the admin, as it should in this scenario. Developers in the team should not have the option to mess with branding. Or even have to be concerned about it, at least not from the system look and feel point of view, Uploaded content is another matter. They still need to learn/consult the branding book.

As developer with various customers - provided that the team leader (main admin) can assign rights to turn of the global branding setting in any new courses..and dont effect existing courses in doing so..
Then i think, again, the themes feature does have the humble beginnings of what can become  some good and interesting options for course look and feel differentiation.

I have read the comments and i expected this when seeing the feature and how it was implemented. I happened to see it very early i think. The "whats new page" had no info on this when i checked it for descriptions of the feature. 

But true to Articulate tradition i have seen so far, they do listen and will gradually improve. This time it might be more urgent for some user scenarios, but still, in a few months time and hopefully some updates along the way, the themes feature will be a natural part of the new rise experience. Overall a good thing.

Also i wanted to share the video provided  - internally in the companies E-learning developer forum, but i could not figure out how to get the link the video. Maybe the link can be posted by support for sharing?

Crystal Horn

Hi everyone! Thank you again for your honest feedback. We've made changes to the cover page behavior that was released with the new Theme features.

Course cards on your dashboard will reflect the option you've selected for your cover page layout. We've also removed the cover image from the outline when editing your course.

This means that if you've selected an option without an image, you won't see any cover image we've suggested on your course cards. I hope this helps, and please let us know how else the new Theme features are working out for you!

(edited to note that we've removed images from the course outline entirely, regardless if they're selected in the cover page layout)