How to block users from continuing with the course before they watch the entire video

Dec 21, 2021

I have created my training content and the first segment is a three minute video. When I preview the the training, and start the course, it takes me to the video but it is instantaneously ticks that segment of the training as complete. This means that people who complete the course will be able to click to go to the second segment before the entire video plays. 

Is there a way to block the user from getting to the second segment of the course before they watch the entire video?

4 Replies
Sienna Harvey

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the link. While it certainly helped get me closer to a solution, unfortunately I am still having issues.

I have unchecked the button to 'allow forward seeking' and have added a 'continue button' after the video with the completion type: complete block directly above. In terms of the main screen, these settings mean you cannot get to the second chunk of the training content until you have watched the entire video. However, on the left hand menu, it is still possible to click straight to the second component of the training, which unfortunately entirely defeats the changes I have made.

Please see the screenshot to see that both the first AND the second component of the training is unlocked.

Any ideas or input would be much appreciated. 

Sienna Harvey

Hi Karl,

Your suggestion helped me stumble across the solution I was after. In settings > navigation, there is an option to choose how the learner navigates the course. If you change this to 'restricted', learners are required to complete the lessons in order, meaning they have to watch the video before they can get to the second chunk of the course.

Thank you for your help Karl, very much appreciated.