How to do translation of question bank

Aug 22, 2022

Dear Articulate team,

There is a bug in Rise regarding question bank translation. When create a xlif file for translation and import the respective translated xlif  into their respective language file, it donot show the translation text. Could you please fix it ASAP or provide a way how to do this?

Best regards,

Siba

37 Replies
Caitlin Mulholland

Hi there,

We did have some of the translations come through on XLIFF but ran into the following (not just in the question banks): 

• Missing translations when there was unique feedback for the answer options 
  • Our course had a large question pool set to shuffle, couldn't find an easy way to check/answer key (okay for French but when you get to languages like German it was a bit of a nightmare) 
  • The translated content did not bring up an editable question bank (so we couldn't easily make updates to languages or fix missing translations if we needed too)
  • Back of flip tiles did not translate

I was able to leverage some of what came through on the XLIFF, but did have to go back for extra translations. It's just not ideal, translations are supposed to be the easy part :) Next time i'll be creating a word doc that can easily be referenced and bypass the XLIFF option all together until they release a fix for this. 

David Maddocks

Your 3rd point is what I've been caught by: not being able to edit the questions. The original test ordered multiple choice questions options with a), b), c) ... Randomizing the order of the answer choices made this an issue. I came to the same conclusion as you: separate the question bank from the course content and build a new translated question bank. I only have to work with French and Spanish. Aber Deutsch ist so einfach.

Marine LWL

Hello, I'd like to chime in there too. Why isn't there, like in the courses, a settings option for the question banks with xliff (or word ;) ) export ? Using mateCAD for translation enables me to do quick translation jobs and edits the file nicely, including the questions, but the included question bank is not translated, hence my question !

Matthieu WILLIAUME

Hello, I'm facing exactly the same problem with translating a question bank!

I’m trying my best to navigate through a completely incomprehensible XLIFF file, copying and pasting in all directions…I believe my eyes can no longer see.

There is a significant area for improvement concerning translation. Why not create a multilingual module, with a menu to activate that allows changing the language of the module at the user’s request?

Felix Franke

Hi Matthieu,

that is my dream, too, being able to create a module with several languages to switch from one to another (It would be doable with Storyline, JavaScript and a lot of programming I guess, but... really?).

Unfortunately, that does not rid you of the task of translation, which is what the xliff file is meant to help with. But as you have exoperienced, it is an xml formatted file, which is almost unreadable by humans. You ned a translation program for it. Then, it works, more or less. I am not a professional translator, they work much faster.

The problem with that is that those translation programs read xliff 2.1 these days, and Articulate software still exports the long outdated xliff 1.0

So for translating Rise360 Modules, you need to open a side window and have a translation program or ChatGPT or whatever open and edit it. Deepl works very well, necause it writes the translation directly into editable fields in open websitzes. But still, I have to do that myself, as the owner of the Articulate license. Works for German, English and Spanish (in my case), but what about Korean, Chinese, Japanese?

Eric Santos

Hi Marine,

Thanks for reaching out! We have fixed the bug reported in this thread where the draw from question banks are not included in the exported XLIFF translation file.

We'd be happy to help determine whether this behavior is specific to your Rise course. It may also be caused by how the course was set up. If you're comfortable sharing your course with our team, could I have you connect with us in a case so we can determine what's happening? We'll reach out soon after we hear from you.

Eric Santos

Hello Matthieu,

Sorry to hear about your experience with translating your Rise course and navigating the XLIFF file.

When you translate a Rise course, the resulting XLIFF file can be accessed and read using translation software, such as Smartcat or Trados, or having a third-party translator do it for you. Let me know if you need additional help with this!

Your suggestion for a multilingual module is a great idea, and our product team can look into it. I've informed our product engineers of your comments, and we'll let you know if there are any changes in this direction that might help.

Matthieu WILLIAUME

Hello Eric,

Actually the questions from a question bank that is within a course have always been exported...but they never been imported during the translation process. 

Are you saying that this bug has been fixed ? How should we process ?  Do we have to duplicate the question bank before applying the XLIFF translation ?

Eric Santos

Thanks for your reply, Matthieu! I'm glad the exported XLIFF file includes the question bank draw. That is the reported bug in this discussion that has already been fixed.

I'd like to understand your experience better so I can better help. Are you in a situation where the question banks are not translated once the translated XLIFF file is imported back into your Rise course? You'd want to check whether the XLIFF file is being imported to the correct duplicated course. It should be the same duplicate from which the XLIFF file was exported.

Looking forward to your response.