32 Replies
Rutgers Academy

I also put in a feature request! If I need to show what I've done with stakeholder feedback I currently need to either have two screens open to show and compare different versions, or I need to somehow manually highlight new/changed/removed text and continually make notes when I move something around or change a block or something like that. And then I need to spend time cleaning up all those highlights and notes from the final version before exporting it.

Hallie Sinor

I export Rise course to pdf, then convert the pdf to Word. You will have a Word document where reviewers can comment , collaborate, edit and track changes. I suggest to the reviewers to have the Rise view only open to see hierarchy of content but to make all edits in the Word doc. We do not use Articulate Review since edits are not connected to the location so creates extra work and confusion for the reviewer, especially when there are a team of reviewers.

When you convert from pdf to Word, you can spellcheck as well in Word and fix in Rise. During the conversion some words in the Word doc may become symbols or become mispelled, but just a very few.

Liz Dawrs

Like others upthread, I maintain a parallel version of the course in Word format. Any changes that take place in Rise are also made in the Word doc, and vice versa. 

Each Rise deliverable (first draft through final product) has its own Word doc, so they are a matching pair throughout the design/development process. 

Having the content in Word format makes it much easier to bake in accessibility throughout the process by using Word's formatting and accessibility features to catch and correct issues before the content goes into Rise. That includes making sure the text content is well-structured with headings, which is something that I think gets overlooked when doing "rapid development" where courses are built directly in Rise, vs. using a Word doc as the first step.

Liz Dawrs

For courses that were built directly in Rise, I've experimented with different approaches to extract the text content and create a Word doc. In my experience, exporting to PDF is unwieldly for courses with a lot of interactivity or audio/visual elements. The PDF requires a lot of manual cleanup to remove those elements and to format/style in Word.

My two approaches are:

1. Export using Rise's translation-export feature. Still requires cleanup. Sometimes omits text.
  2. Manually copy/paste from Rise into a Word doc. As ridiculous as this sounds, sometimes it is actually less time-consuming and more error-proof than exporting to PDF or to XLIFF.

I do a lot of course remediation work, and if I could give one piece of advice to folks building Rise courses from scratch, it would be to invest in creating and maintaining parallel Word versions of course content. It pays off big time over the life of a course.