How to Best Use Storyline or Rise to teach InDesign?

Jan 31, 2019

Is there a way to teach the basics of a program like InDesign (for Windows) within either Storyline or Rise? I would prefer that my students do NOT have to Alt+Tab between their (Articulate 360) instructions and InDesign itself.

I have plenty of short screen captures (in MP4) to show specific procedures in InDesign, which I would then like students to immediately try for themselves hands-on with InDesign itself. But I don't yet know how to integrate my instructions on Storyline/Rise with InDesign so my students don't have to keep switching between programs while they learn.

4 Replies
Allison LaMotte

Hi Euan,

It sounds like the best option for you here would be to create a software simulation in Storyline. That way you can show learners how to do something and they can try it out for themselves without leaving the course.

Here are some articles to help you get started:

I hope that's helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions.

David Tait

Have you considered using any pre-existing tutorials found on Lynda/LinkedIn Learning or somewhere similar? Might save you reinventing the wheel.

Realistically your learners are going to have to toggle between the instructions and InDesign unless they have a dual-monitor setup. A software simulation might work but from my experience software such as InDesign is best learned via a hands-on approach.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.