New Rise feature: Custom Text Labels

Feb 08, 2017

Hi everyone,

I’m happy to share that we’ve added a handy new Rise feature: the ability to customize the text used in labels. Now all built-in course elements, such as buttons and lesson headers, can say exactly what you want them to say.

This additional flexibility is especially useful if you author courses in languages other than English. To make the localization process even easier, we’ve even provided default labels in French, German, and Spanish. You can customize each language’s labels as well, of course.  

Check out Arlyn’s video for a quick walkthrough:

Enjoy playing with this much-requested feature!

Brian

74 Replies
Stephanie Harnett

Quick question - is there a way to override the title that appears in the browser tab? For example, say a Rise course has the title of "This is a course about mastering Rise" but when someone bookmarks the Rise course in the browser, I want it to be something shorter like "Learn Rise". Right now the bookmark or browser window title takes on the Rise course name and if I edit the index.html to change the <title> tag, it's overridden by the course name.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Good question Stephanie - since the individual user can control what the bookmark says and how it reads it would be up to them to shorten that element within their browser. There isn't a way that I know of within Rise or our other tools to force it to occur - but hopefully if someone in the community has done similar they'll be able to share with you here! 

Stephanie Harnett

Thanks Ashley. Also just noticing if you change the labels for a particular course, those labels are changed for all Rise courses. Is this by design? I was planning to use Rise for a few different clients, each would have their own wording for the labels. It would be better if the label changes were for a specific course, like changing a theme color is, rather than a global change across all Rise courses.

Adam Schwartz

Hi Stephanie, thanks for your feedback!

We made label sets common across courses for two reasons:

1) In our research, a lot of companies change the text of something like "Course" to "Module." This terminology is common for every course, so having to keep changing it for every course would be a pain.

2) If you want to have a label set that's course-specific, that's no problem. Just hit Create New and you're customize away for that course!

It's best of both worlds! Hope this clarifies.

Stephanie Harnett

Leslie and Adam, thank you for the quick response. I totally missed the method of creating a new set. I've done that now and it works perfectly. In my case, I have multiple clients that have different reasons for using Rise that leads to customization of labels on a per course basis. Problem now solved! Rise is excellent btw. It's particularly timely as I move forward producing simplified learning solutions that hit multi-devices flawlessly. P.S. - my website is created with Rise too!  stephanieharnett.ca

Doug Brown

Hi Adam, can I clarify a few points.

If I create a new Rise course and set the options to a new custom label set will all existing links to other existing Rise  courses now be using the new label set.

If this is true then the only way around the issue would be to export the existing couses and host elsewhere.

Also is there any way to upload a Rise course to Articulate Review to over come this issue

I hope I'm missing something here.

Regards

Doug

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Thanks Matt for reaching out and sharing that here - I'm seeing the same behavior you described, and I didn't see the "next step" as a label under the process section of the label editor and looked at changing the words "step" and "next" anywhere else I found them to see if it was combined - but no change yet. I'm going to double check with our Product team to see how to change that one and I'll be back in touch with you shortly! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.