New Rise feature: Custom Text Labels

Feb 08, 2017

Hi everyone,

I’m happy to share that we’ve added a handy new Rise feature: the ability to customize the text used in labels. Now all built-in course elements, such as buttons and lesson headers, can say exactly what you want them to say.

This additional flexibility is especially useful if you author courses in languages other than English. To make the localization process even easier, we’ve even provided default labels in French, German, and Spanish. You can customize each language’s labels as well, of course.  

Check out Arlyn’s video for a quick walkthrough:

Enjoy playing with this much-requested feature!

Brian

74 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Thanks Miriam, I also tried it in Firefox version 57 on a Mac, and that worked normally for me to apply a new set of labels or edit the existing labels. I checked closing out of Rise and revisiting the page as well. When you're seeing this issue can you share the exact steps you've gone through so that I can try and replicate it? 

Agilec ®

I'm working through a course right now that needs an Introduction section block and then other subsequent sections.  Is there a way to take the numbers out completely? I took out the 'lesson' and the 'of' in that label hoping that it would kick it out but now we just have numbers at the top. we'd LOVE to take those out completely so that we can set up our own numbering. 

Allison LaMotte

Hi Leanne,

Thanks for your question!

Are you trying to download labels? If so, you can do this in Rise.

Click here to learn more about downloading text labels. This will allow you to access an XLIFF file to send to your translators. However, when uploading the translated files you will have to do this individually for each language.

Please let me know if this answers your question.

Alyssa Gomez

Hey Bryan!

You can edit or remove the word "Step" in a Process interaction, but the number will always remain.

If you're looking for a similar type of interaction without a number, try the Timeline interaction. You won't see a number on that interaction type, and you don't need to include anything in the "date" field. 

Let me know if that's an option for you!

IT Econometrica

Hi Bryan,

As with most things Rise, you can actually remove the numbered label above each step of the Process feature entirely, but it involves editing the CSS after publishing.

I find it easiest to add the something like the following code at the beginning of the <body> of the primary HTML file:

<style>
.process-card-mobile__number, .process-card__number {
display:none !important;
}
</style>
Errol Luders

"Changes you make to text labels impact all your Rise courses that use the same label set" is becoming an issue for us. I have to develop both modules and lessons for different groups in the uni. Is there any development or method on avoiding "Changes you make to text labels impact all your Rise courses that use the same label set"?

Karl Muller

Hi Errol,

Yes there is a simple solution for this. Each course (or group of courses) can have a unique label set.

Open your course and choose SETTINGS/LABELS.

It will display the label set currently assigned to the course.

Just to the right of that choose "CREATE NEW".

Choose a unique name and then edit the label set.

You can now use this label set for just one course, or for a group of courses.

Janette Nicholson

In one of our courses, we want to change the word "Quiz" to "Test" where it appears here on the main page of the course:

When we go to the custom labels, we can't find just the word "Quiz" on it's own. Is this something that we might have inadvertently deleted? 

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide :)

Janette

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.