Open text box/field in Rise 360

May 08, 2019

Hi. Is it possible to add an open, blank text field in a lesson on Rise 360? I would like users of my course to be able to write reflective comments as I pose questions.

Thanks, Dan.

52 Replies
Tim St. Clair

I use lots of multi-line text entries. I have used google forms (awful, and blocked in some places), iframe embeds with custom HTML (mixed success), and storyline files (horrible user experience, very slow to load, but works).

I've attached my generic storyline text entry box. I have to publish this each time in a course I want a text entry to make them unique (I haven't gotten around to making a smarter component), then insert them into Rise using the Storyline interaction. Sometimes I have to adjust the background/brand colour first in Storyline before I publish to match the block background in Rise, which is a pain. Storyline also has a scrollbar bug in the modern player where they don't necessarily appear for overflowing text areas, so it has to use the classic player (also a pain).

My storyline will complete itself only when you enter text and hit save so that you can capture the event in Rise for use with the Continue button functionality.

Once in Rise, I then have to set the top and bottom padding to none (which still leaves 4.5rem at the top and 8 rem at the bottom - Rise doesn't know what "no padding" means for embeds) and then set the player size to Small (which is still slightly too big). It's not the greatest solution, and the fonts are always glitchy.

Simply allowing "any" response in a knowledge check (any text is correct, no text is incorrect) would satisfy 90% of my use cases. Feature requests for changes to existing components seem to be ignored by Articulate.