Polling In Rise?

Aug 25, 2017

Hi All, 

I was wondering if anyone has an elegant solution for polling within a Rise course? The Knowledge Check and Quiz features don't work well as the KC can be taken again and again and the Quiz requires a 'right' and 'wrong' answer and then displays your percentage at the end.

At the moment I'm embedding a Google Form, however, this is also imperfect as I am unable to limit number of responses (this functionality is contingent on logging in to Google). 

Any creative fixes out there? 

38 Replies
Anne Baker

I have been longing for better polling features for Rise and Storyline for forever. Poll Everywhere is just plain ugly and makes you scroll.  Others don't show results in slide or use iframes that can't be embedded in Storyline.  Please someone listen at Articulate and create a simple solution that lets us embed a poll and show the results without a bunch of ugly scrolling and branding from another company!

IT Econometrica

Hi Anne, I don't think the Articulate team is likely to add a polling feature any time soon. But I do personally consider them a pretty crucial element to leverage when considering the fact that as humans we are highly social learners. That said, I have found a few solutions that seem to work well. 

For the average user, there are a few super easy options. Give one of the following free options a try:

1. https://www.pollsify.com/cards
  2. https://www.easypolls.net/

After signing in and creating and saving a poll, you will find an embed code available. The code is pretty clean from the first of the two options above. You might want to trim some of the extra advertising code off of the second option.

Once you go to insert the code into an iFrame in Articulare Rise, be sure to use the following settings (pictured). Set the embed width to small in most cases, and you will likely want to ensure the 'show border' option is set to off. In my experience iframe content in Rise usually comes with a border already, and otherwise you can end up with multiple boxes displaying.

settings to use.

Jeff Morgenroth

Hi Jennifer, thanks for the MS Forms tip. I was able to get the form embedded into my course after editing the closing code of the embed link, but I'm not sure how to share the results within the course. My thought is that the poll would ask the learner, "what will you do first," and then show them how other people responded after they submit their answer. How are you showing the results in your poll? 

Anna Gorshkova

Hi Jeff,

Not sure if this is an option for you, but I've been able to set up and embed Survey Monkey surveys as polls with everyone else's results viewable after the learner responds.  I haven't been able to set this up the same way through Microsoft Forms but would be curious if Jennifer has some tips.

Anya

Jennifer Merrill

Hi Friends,

Happy to share! I used the Embed Code - like Jeff said above, putting the URL to the poll in one block and then added a block for the responses. In the MS Forms, click on the Responses tab, click on the elipses (...) and select "Get a summary link", copy the URL and place it in the embed code (I used Notepad for this). The link is pretty long, but it worked like a charm!