Putting a timer on a lesson

Feb 01, 2023

Is there a way to put a minimum time limit in a lesson block so that the learner can't just scroll to the end of the lesson? 

6 Replies
Judy Nollet

Rise doesn't have that sort of timing functionality. The only way to slow down a learner is use the Continue button to force them to complete interactions.

In Storyline, you can adjust each slide's timeline so the learner has to spend a certain amount of time on the slide.

But, let's face it, even if you make someone wait on a slide, that doesn't mean they actually read the content... 

John Cooper

Judy is right - it is possible to use timelines in Storyline - or even create a timer which has to count down before the learner can move on.

https://rise.articulate.com/share/fOga_fJEdh-2Oc63m6e4QnwFVyJksjco

Ironically, we created the above timer block to stop the learner spending too much time on an activity - i.e. put down your ideas in 60 seconds. But the demo also shows how you can set an activity - like a quiz against the clock.

In the second example you will notice the 'Continue' block is only active once the timer has run down - or the learner completes the task.

Hope this gives you some food for thought...

John Cooper

Hi Tasha

Sorry I missed your original request - I wrote several of these types of timers for inclusion in RISE courses. I have attached a 60 second countdown timer. It is designed to be included as a Storyline block in RISE. I can't quite remember why there is a blank screen at the beginning - I guess it is to do with the way the block looks when you insert it in RISE.

This version of the timer doesn't use JavaScript. I have done other clocks and timers that use JavaScript date and time functions and are more accurate...  The way this one works is that there are two layers "Timerloop" and "Timerloopa" which have 1 second timelines. they pass control to each other whilst updating the clock. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the timer using this method - I'm guessing its approximately 60 seconds :).

The Font used to get the Digital Clock look is "Digital-7 Mono" you might need to find this on-line if you want a similar display.

The logic is a little tricky to follow - it takes a bit of working out. If you need help just message me.

Good luck - John