Resuming a completed SCORM

Jul 30, 2018

I'm not sure what the SCORM standard's stance on this is, so it would be interesting to get input on Articulate's perspective, and whether Rise is designed to handle this scenario.

Say a user reaches the end of the SCORM package, and lesson_status is set to complete/passed, and LMSFinish() has been called. Should a user be able to resume this attempt, even though it has been completed?

Our LMS is designed to allow users to view the learning content (SCORM) once they have completed it, and doing so will load the user's last attempt. However, some users are having trouble with getting Rise-published content to re-open, and they are getting a blank screen. We've noticed that if we then remove the cmi.core.lesson_location for that attempt, they are able to successfully open/view that attempt again.

Would this be a bug on Rise's part, or would you say that the LMS is abusing the standard, by allowing completed data to be resumed.

Any input on this would be much appreciated.

1 Reply
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Jason, and welcome to the E-Learning Heroes community! We're glad you're here. 😀

You mentioned it's only happening for some users, do you have any other info about how they're accessing the Rise course and what's happening? For example, are they all using a particular browser or closing out of the course only at the Quiz results screen?

It would be good to know more about how your users are running into this, as I did a quick test in SCORM Cloud and check the LMS debug log to see that we are setting  lesson_status=completed and cmi.exit=suspend there, adhering to the SCORM standard, so the learner should definitely be able to resume a completed course.  I don’t see any reason that the LMS should force you to clean out cmi.core.lesson_location (which describes the learner’s location in the content) before resuming.

I'd suggest taking a look at the debug data from your LMS (using the steps in that link above) and comparing that with SCORM Cloud too. 

Let me know if you need anything else! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.