Return to Rise lesson/course after closing content link tab

Oct 13, 2020

I've built a multi-lesson course in Rise with links to videos, PDFs, etc embedded in the content blocks. The Rise course itself opens from our LMS in a separate browser window (but not a browser tab). When a learner clicks a content link in the Rise course, it opens in a new tab. When the learner finishes and closes the tab, the Rise course seems to have disappeared. It's still an open browser window in the browser, but it isn't visible right there. If they don't know to look in their browser icon, they will think they're lost and have to open the Rise course again from the LMS. They end up with dozens of Rise course windows that they can't see after they close content tabs. Shouldn't they always be returned to the window with the Rise course? There has to be a solution for this.

26 Replies
Laura Winzen

When we clicked the link in the LMS the Rise course would open in a window, not a tab. So we finally figured out how to force it to open in a tab in the link code and that solved the problem. Now when you run a video or something and then close that tab, you're right back at the Rise course. Much better!

Lisa Ede

Hi Laura, 

How did you do that please with the code? I'm having the same issue and also thought opening a new tab was the same as opening a new window? I've tried both displaying in a new browser window and also current browser window but either way, the learners can't get back onto their course without going back to the original starting place on the LMS and starting it again. Any help or workarounds much appreciated! For info, we are unfortunately using Workday LMS :-(

Grace Durnford

We are also using Workday LMS and having this same issue. Many learners are complaining that anytime they follow a link in the course (to a policy, etc) it "closes" the course and they have to start over again. I think it's actually probably still an open browser window in the browser, but because it isn't visible right there they think it's closed. 

Stephen Houck

Adding a ditto to the issue.  We have both an link to an external site and one to a PDF.  When we launch the course, it opens a new window.  When we click one of the links, it opens a new tab in the original browser IN FRONT of the course.  Users click to close that browser tab and think the course is gone.  Then they close the browser which closes both that one and the one containing the course content.  This did not happen in the past.  What's up?

Stephen Houck

We are using Workday Learning. I checked with our administrator who says no changes were made to that platform, so we're at a loss.

Steve

Stephen J. Houck, CPTD
Instructional Designer - Learning & Development
shouck@holmanenterprises.com
P 856-533-9844

Global Headquarters
4001 Leadenhall Rd.
Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054

[cid:image002.jpg@01D54602.6E936510]

Holman Automotive * Holman Parts Distribution * ARI
Auto Truck Group * Steward Financial Services * Holman Insurance Services

The information in this message is strictly confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please immediately contact the sender if you have read this message in error. Thank you for your cooperation.

Stephen Houck

Sorry for the second response. I've also tested this in SCORM Cloud and the functionality is the same as in Workday Learning, so It can't be the LMS.

Stephen J. Houck, CPTD
Instructional Designer - Learning & Development
shouck@holmanenterprises.com
P 856-533-9844

Global Headquarters
4001 Leadenhall Rd.
Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054

[cid:image002.jpg@01D54602.6E936510]

Holman Automotive * Holman Parts Distribution * ARI
Auto Truck Group * Steward Financial Services * Holman Insurance Services

The information in this message is strictly confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please immediately contact the sender if you have read this message in error. Thank you for your cooperation.

Renz Sevilla

Hi Stephen! Thanks for testing this with SCORM Cloud on your end. If it's alright with you, could you please share the file with us privately so we can investigate further? Please open up a case here.

It also looks like you're replying via email and your signature and information came through. Not to worry, you can edit your comments here and here to remove the personal information.

Hazel Bartolome

Hi Emily! Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Since this issue also occurs when you test your course in SCORM Cloud I would suggest opening a case with us here. One of our technical support engineers will be happy to take a look at your course.

Stephen Stone

We are currently having the same problem using a Cornerstone LMS at Duke Energy.  Our courses open in a separate window from the LMS but any web object opens in the same browser as them LMS so the course window goes to the background causing the learner to loose the course window.  I have tried opening the pdfs in the lesson itself but now I am getting a IE security error indicating that the pdf cannot be opened in a frame which prevents that from happening.  That used to never happen.  

Barbara Hadley

Hi we are having the same problem. We use Blackboard and I cannot make them open in a new window. So when they click on the link, the only way back is to close the tab and that closes the whole module. They then have to start again. This never used to happen. Help? We have our first trimester opening for students shortly.

Abrea Da Lay

We are having the same issue with the GeoLearning LMS. From my understanding, we do not have a way to control in the LMS how a link from the SCORM package opens, that it has to be changed from the SCORM package file. We are needing a way for the Articulate file to tell the LMS to open the link in the same window as the course instead of the background window.

MEDSAC Learning

Most LMSs should have the option to open the course within an LMS window. While I prefer a SCORM to open in a separate window (no LMS padding), I have changed this to open embedded in the LMS as so many of our users were getting lost when clicking external links that open in new tabs (user error meant they couldn't navigate back to the separate open SCORM window).