Rise 360 Adding a PDF document

Nov 05, 2020

Hi, I am new to this software. Rise 360 shows a demo class on Employee Health and wellness and it includes a PDF document for download. I have made my first Rise 360 course and would also like to add a PDF document for download but am not seeing the option. Does anyone know how to do this in Rise 360? Thanks!

22 Replies
Chino Navarro

Hi James, I am here to help. Have you tried inserting the PDF in an iframe and use an Embed block? This way the learners can view the PDF right inside the course.

In the sample screenshot below, I used the link to this discussion and embedded it into my Rise 360 course.

Here are the steps on how to embed a PDF document into Rise 360:

1. Upload your PDF file into an online hosting service/file server.
2. Make sure the file has the correct permissions so other people can access it.
3. Get the link to the PDF.
4. Insert the link into this Embed code:

<iframe src="Paste your link here"></iframe>

The result should look something like this:

<iframe src="https://community.articulate.com/discussions/rise-360/rise-360-adding-a-pdf-document"></iframe>

5. Insert an Embed block into your course.
6. Paste the embed code into the Embed block.

If you encounter any issues, here is an article with some troubleshooting steps.

Bruno Balanza

I do have some PDFs that explain a lot of the issues of the program, it was developed in Indesing and exported to PDF, so basically PDF should be visible as main content, embeeded.

I dont have the PDF on an external site, just on my local servers..

Embedding in Rise so far only works to download it but it takes me out of the course in a new window

Karl Muller

Hi Bruno,

There are number of factors that could determine what happens when a PDF is clicked:

• The LMS could determine the behavior.
  • The browser settings on each device can also determine what do with PDF's.

See https://community.articulate.com/discussions/rise-360/pdfs-not-downloading-automatically-and-opening-in-existing-browser#reply-767611 

Gren Foronda

Hi Janelle!

It looks like you are using the URL of a PDF file you uploaded in an Attachment block in an iFrame code in your Embed block.

We've noticed a behavior change when clicking an Attachment block, where the PDF file gets downloaded instead of being opened in a new browser tab. This seems related to the issue you reported where embedding the Attachment block (using iFrame) also downloads the PDF file.

We've shared this with our team, and we'll keep this thread posted on any updates that can help!

In the meantime, here are some of the workarounds that you can try:

1. Use the direct URL of the Attachment block when embedding the PDF file (don't use an iFrame code).
  2. Upload the PDF file to another web server, and use the URL in the iFrame code in the Embed block.
  3. Publish the Rise 360 course with the Attachment block to Review 360. In the published Review 360 course, get the URL of the Attachment block (right-click, Copy link address), then use this URL in the iFrame code in an Embed block in Rise.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or clarifications!

ICEP Europe

Hi,

I am having the same problem as above. In the past, I uploaded a PDF using the embed attachment, then this would open up in a new tab. I could use this link to within the content to hyperlink certain words. Now the PDF downloads to my laptop.

I need to insert PDF links within content but this option is gone now. Can you advise please?

Hazel Bartolome

Hi there ICEP Europe!

So sorry you are encountering this issue. We noticed a change in the behavior of the Attachment block, and we have shared this with the team. We will update this thread if there will be any changes.

In the meantime, I am reposting the workarounds that Gren had mentioned above. Have you tried these?

1. Use the direct URL of the Attachment block when embedding the PDF file (don't use an iFrame code).
  2. Upload the PDF file to another web server, and use the URL in the iFrame code in the Embed block.
  3. Publish the Rise 360 course with the Attachment block to Review 360. In the published Review 360 course, get the URL of the Attachment block (right-click, Copy link address), then use this URL in the iFrame code in an Embed block in Rise.

Let us know if these workarounds help! 

Hazel Bartolome

Hi there ICEP Europe!

So sorry you are encountering this issue. We noticed a change in the behavior of the Attachment block, and we have shared this with the team. We will update this thread if there will be any changes.

In the meantime, I am reposting the workarounds that Gren had mentioned above. Have you tried these?

3. Publish the Rise 360 course with the Attachment block to Review 360. In the published Review 360 course, get the URL of the Attachment block (right-click, Copy link address), then use this URL in the iFrame code in an Embed block in Rise.

Let us know if these workarounds help! 

Gren Foronda

Hi Ashar! 

Sorry to hear that your Rise course doesn't fully operate with keyboard commands in JAWS or NVDA.

Can you share more details about this issue? Can you give examples of the keyboard commands that you are using that aren't working in JAWS or NVDA?

Can you share details on where you found the suggested solution of auto-tagging so that we may assist you better on this?

Looking forward to your response!

Gren Foronda

Hi Ashar! 

Sorry to hear that your Rise course doesn't fully operate with keyboard commands in JAWS or NVDA.

Can you share more details about this issue? Can you give examples of the keyboard commands that you are using that aren't working in JAWS or NVDA?

Can you share details on where you found the suggested solution of auto-tagging so that we may assist you better on this?

Looking forward to your response!