Rise 360 image compression

Jan 31, 2024

I have trawled these forums looking for an actual solution but have not yet seen anything satisfactory. Why the downgrade in crispness and quality in Rise when zooming in? I need my zoomed images to be at least as clear as the original file.

No matter what size I upload them at (original, sized up, sized down), or file type (jpeg or png), or indeed what suffix I add (_NOPROCESS_), they are still blurry. 

It's okay if there's a known problem and y'all are working on one. Just let us know.

My team chose Articulate specifically for the ease of use with Rise but may not have jumped in so readily if we had known ahead of time that Rise couldn't handle text-heavy images and screen shots. This causes problems during the review phase for our materials and is the chief complaint from all reviewers in our organization.

First image: Photoshop

Second image: Rise 360

Image file in PhotoshopImage file in Rise 360

8 Replies
Karl Muller

Hi,

Phil is correct, low resolution is part of the problem.

Your Photoshop image is also not very sharp to begin with. It seems some file compression was applied during the Photoshop save process. 

Either way, if you are using _NOPROCESS_ there should be no difference between the two images.

Tom Kuhlmann

Do you have a copy of the original image you inserted? Which image block are you using?

You will always have some image degradation with bitmaps as the image is scaled up or down.

Generally speaking, the image has a set resolution. For example, the one I used in the demo below is 1920x1030. When I insert it into a webpage, course, etc, it is going to scale to fit into the container in which it's displayed. If that is smaller than 1920x1030 it is going to scale down and have some degradation. It's just the nature of bitmaps. The same as if you had a 100x50 image and inserted it into a 1200x600 container. It would scale up and appear pixelated.

Here's a test I did with a text screengrab inserting the original and noprocess versions. This screengrab was 1920x1030.

https://rise.articulate.com/share/iWz-DCgSuhjTRI0DZyCR7lV1N_o7MJgK#/lessons/pV4gO8BQAuIdmqZWUibY14LU-uYuG9Ti

When you publish the course and look inside the asset folder, if you use NOPROCESS you'll see that Rise didn't compress the file and it will be the same resolution as it was when inserted.

Geoffrey Blackmer

This is happening in an image and text block. In fact, I scaled the images down because I thought maybe part of the problem was the images being too large. The original is something like 1475px wide. Plenty large and not blurry at all, except when using the zoom in function.

Just...not sure why _NOPROCESS_ isn't working like it should. Frustrating.

Tom Kuhlmann

This is a common issue with screengrabs. Happens with a lot of software training where people have fullscreen image captures and then put them inside a course that's 720x560, for example.

The best bet is to try and create an image that is as close to the display size as possible. Of course, that will vary based on the browser since Rise is responsive.