Rise and copying content across courses?

Jan 20, 2017

Hi all,

I'm loving the new Rise software, but I'm wondering if it is possible to copy blocks/lessons from one course into another course, and if so, how?  (Like in Storyline, you can import specific slides from other SL files into a new course, how is this handled?)  The only work-around I can see is making a duplicate of a course and then editing it, but what if you want to recombine and pull lessons across multiple courses?  Please advise.  Thanks!

28 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Rajeev,

We're working on two features right now that would help you out! 

The first is a Collaborators feature so that you and any other 360 Teams members could share and edit a course together. They don't need to be in your team even, but you all have to have 360 Teams subscriptions.

We're also working on a feature to allow you to transfer ownership of a course and that you could transfer to any other individual or teams member. So if you were leaving the company, sending off final project to a client, etc. you'd be able to give them a version of the course that they could edit and use.

We'll keep you posted on the release of both of these features, so you can always follow along with the Rise Version History and the "What's New" page of Articulate! 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Lisa! Great question and glad you brought this thread back up :)

The collaborators feature is targeted for Q2, so hopefully we will have some news about that soon.

The transfer that was mentioned above, was released as 'Send a Copy'. This way, when you 'transfer' your course, you don't actually lose your copy - so you 'send a copy'. You can certainly utilize this feature now and you can read check out Adam's video here on the topic.

Stuart Marshall

Would be great to have some kind of personal block/lesson library that we could save to and which would then be available as an option to add into any new course. Would also be great if groups of blocks could be saved so that we wouldn't need to re-add individual blocks to recreate a lesson in a new course. Hoping that the upcoming feature that you mention Crystal does this kind of thing. There is content that is common to many of my modules and this would make life a lot easier. Duplicating an entire course to be able to re-use some blocks is not a workable solution.

Kaitlyn Romberg

For what it's worth, I second Stuart's request! I have a client who wants to move 3 lessons from one course into another, currently the only way I can think to do it is to re-build the lessons into the correct course. It would be great to have the option to save them and insert them into any course. 

If anyone has any suggestions on how I could avoid rebuilding these lessons for now, that would be great! 

Leslie McKerchie

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to pop in and let you know that the new Block Templates are available :)

New: Build Rise courses faster by saving existing blocks and their content as templates, then reusing those templates in other lessons. And if you have an Articulate 360 Teams subscription, you can share templates with your team. Learn more about block templates.

All of our latest release notes for Rise can be found here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, we're happy to help!

Paul Tottle

I'm finding the "Copy lesson to another course" and Templates very useful for moving stuff, around as well as saving work for later. I might have to delete content and it's great to be able to save the Rise content for if I need it later. Or just to get ideas.

A quick query. When I  copied my "How to use Rise" lesson to start of another course the storyline content went with it, but the custom images did not. Is there a way of preserving the non-content library images?

Karl Muller