Rise course not displaying correctly in Safari

May 04, 2020

Hi There  - my rise course displays well in Chrome and other browsers but has some issues in Safari. One of them is this odd black bar that appears next to the menu window. Screenshot provided

Another issue we have is an item that is not clickable.  Screenshot provided

Are there any known issues with Rise courses not working in Safari?  

Thanks,

Gloria

20 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Gloria,

Thanks for letting us know the issues you're seeing in Safari. We've also seen the black bar that appears in the menu area, and our team is looking at ways we can resolve that bug. I'll keep you posted on our progress!

I wasn't able to recreate any issues clicking the arrows in a tabs block in Safari. Would you be willing to send us your course Share link so we can test your content on our side? If that works for you, you can send it privately by clicking here. 

Crystal Horn

Hi there, James. Can you let me know what version and update of iPad you're using? The black bar isn't there for me on a course I exported today and played via web on my iPad mini 4, iOS 13.4.1.

You can also share details privately with us by clicking here, including a link to your output for testing. Thank you!

James Smith

You're correct. I tested the content in the Safari Mobile browser and no black bar.

However, I'm hosting content in my own iPad app using the WKWebView. When viewed in the app I see the black bar. See attachment. Is there any guidance regarding use of WebKit Web View in iOS and Rise content?

Thanks.

James Smith

WebKit is a browser engine developed by Apple and primarily used in its Safari web browser, as well as all the iOS web browsers. I'm simply using the default iOS web browser to display Rise content. There really should be no difference. Any chance you could run this by the techs to see if it raises any suggestions?

Thanks.

James Smith

That's unfortunate. Thanks for your response. We use Rise for a number of training items within our business in use by thousands of employees and created by a team of a dozen developers. It's a shame there's not more support for such a large scale implementation, especially since we rely on it for regulatory training.

We may start looking for an alternative that is not as closed sourced and with more of an enterprise relationship.

Thanks.

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks for clarifying that you're using WKWebView in an iOS app, Corey. We're tracking our customers who are using this app, so thanks for letting us know you ran into the problem. I'll be sure our team knows how many of your users this impacts. We'll keep you posted on any changes that will help.