Rise course not forcing new attempt

Jan 19, 2018

Hi everyone,

I have created a Rise course with 5 lessons. each lesson is restricted so the user must complete each lesson. This is followed by a 20 question quiz.

What has been reported is that when the course is launched in the LMS (Totara 2.7) is it does not force new attempt even though the setting for Force New Attempt has been selected in the LMS. Reason we have this is we have a generic login to the LMS for a set of certain users who complete the rise course, therefore force restart is needed.

This option works fine for courses published in SL360 ( never resume selected in both SL360 player and in the LMS) but seems to be a problem for Rise courseS.

Anyone else had similar issues? or have a solution.

Many thanks in advance

5 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Adam,

Thanks for that! It sounds like the LMS is returning the user to a specific point in the course when they resume. What LMS publishing option did you choose? SCORM 1.2, 2004, Tin Can API? 

Specifically SCORM 1.2 tracks less resume data than the others, so if the user is returned to a point earlier than where they left the course that could be the culprit. 

One method to confirm is to see if you can replicate the same behavior in SCORM Cloud. It's a great (free!) standard for testing how LMS content should behave.  

Adam Kenworthy

Hi Ashley, thanks for your response.

I have published in 1.2. I am not sure how well the LMS (Totara 2.7) will handle the course being published in 2004 or Tin Can.

What would be the recommendation between 2004 and Tin Can?

I will try SCORM cloud as well published in 1.2

Update:

Our LMS does not support Tin Can

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.