Rise: Hover or Pop-up or Hyperlink to a glossary term

May 16, 2023

In Rise - Ideally, I'd like to have the last page of a course be glossary terms and throughout the course when you come across a term, provide a hyperlink  or better yet a hover tool, so that when the learner hovers over the word, the definition pop up. Any suggestions?

3 Replies
Micah Weedman

Hover states typically aren't responsive—I think on Android and iOS they divert to touch targets.  Touch targets are supposed to be at least 44x30 px, so there might be sizing considerations for the targets/limits to the number per screen, etc.

I don't know much about the pop-up features and how responsive they are, but I imagine there'd be some complexity in formatting the glossary—would it be a scrollable total-glossary pop-up? I can't anecdotally think of what a scrolling pop-up would look like, but I'm sure they exist.  But I imagine the UX decisions are significant.

Super fascinating to think about!

Dina Beavers

Let me try and give you a visual. You’ve clicked on the ad button and rise for tax. You were writing a paragraph and one of the words in the paragraph you want to define. So instead of defining it within the paragraph. You would either hover over the word, and the definition would appear. Or that word would be a hyperlink that would take you to another section within the course. That section within the course would be at the end. And it would have a list of all of the words that you want to define, the glossary.

Get Outlook for iOS