Rise lesson is jumping down to storyline block at start

Mar 05, 2019

Hello,

I have imbedded a Storyline module into my rise lessons and at the start of each lesson it jumps down to the Storyline block automatically. I think this has to do with the Storyline timeline automatically starting, but I do not know how to fix it. Can anyone help please?

Thanks,

Natalie

16 Replies
Anthony Karcz

Hey, Natalie! Sorry that you're having trouble with your Storyline blocks. 

The easiest way to prevent the Storyline block from autoplaying when your lesson starts is to add a trigger to the course that pauses the timeline of the first slide. We talk more about it in this article. Give that a go and let me know if it solves your problem.

Hope that helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Christopher Kegley

Is there some JavaScript or something that I can put in to help stop this? I noticed that this didn't happen before I changed the tab order and alt tags for things in my Storyline file to make it screen reader accessible. Once I did change those things and put it back into Rise, it started to happen. If I pause the timeline at the beginning, the motion paths won't work like they're supposed to before any interactivity from a user. I don't see how changing tab order and alt tags created this problem, but pausing the timeline, or putting a continue button at the beginning, or having the Storyline file in a separate lesson is just bad user experience for my Rise course. Was there an object in the tab order that keeps this from happening? Because if so, I didn't notice it while defining alt tags and tab order. Any kind of work around without changing the user's experience would be wonderful! 

Thanks

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Christopher,

Sorry you're running into this! I wouldn't think that changing the tab order or adding alt tags would cause this problem. 

The easiest way to prevent the lesson from jumping immediately to the Storyline block is to add a Rise continue block just before the Storyline block. 

You mentioned that solution isn't ideal for you, so hopefully the community can share other ideas. We'd also happily take a look at your course if you'd like to send your Share link to us here.

Christopher Kegley

Hello Alyssa,

Right?! I was confused too! Ha. Super weird. I agree, hopefully the community can share some ideas or a fix. I've got numerous Storyline files throughout my Rise course. So putting a continue block before every single one would be a little much for users.

Anyway, thank you for the quick response!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Christopher,

By chance, does the first slide of your Storyline block have a layer with the "Prevent the User from Clicking on the Base Layer" option enabled?

We found an issue in the most recent update of Storyline that is causing Rise 360 to jump down to a Storyline block if that option is enabled on the first slide. 

Let me know if that matches what you're seeing!

Christopher Kegley

Hi Alyssa,

Unfortunately, I haven't enabled that option for any of my Storyline files. Even my files that don't have more than just a base layer are responding the same way. I even reverted that tab order and alt tabs back to it's original order, republished it back into Rise, and it's still jumping to the reverted Storyline files in Rise. At this point, I'm afraid to even touch the other Storyline files to make them more accessible, ha.

Alyssa Gomez

Good news, Christopher!

We fixed the problem where Rise 360 lessons jumped immediately to Storyline blocks where the first slide had a layer.

To take advantage of this fix, install the latest Storyline 360 update, republish your course to Review 360, and reinsert your Storyline block in Rise 360.

Let us know how it goes!

Kyle Yates

Hello,

I was having this issue as well.  I'm not sure if this will help anyone else, but I fixed it by adjusting the first slide a bit.  The first slide originally had unassigned triggers, a pause timeline trigger, a show layer trigger, and then on the layer was the button to advance slide.  

I changed this to no unassigned triggers, no timeline pause or show layer trigger, and the button on the base layer.  Of course, the slide has to be set to advance by user since there's no timeline pause.

Works for me now

Lauren Connelly

Hello!

I quickly wanted to share that we are no longer seeing this bug, Rise 360 course is jumping to the Storyline block if the 1st slide has a video, in our latest version of Storyline 360. 

I'd recommend using Storyline 360 (Build 3.61.27106.0) or later.

If you need to reach our Support Team, we are available in this discussion or in a support case.