Rise needs a way to detect when user gets logged out of LMS.

Feb 01, 2024

Today, we had another issue where someone contacted us, saying they completed a Rise course, but it didn't give them credit in the LMS. It got me thinking, why don't we have these issues with our Storyline courses? So, I ran a little test:

1) I launched a Storyline course, viewed a few slides, and then logged out of the LMS (Cornerstone). When I tried to go to the next slide, the course would not advance to the next slide, presumably because the content is loaded slide by slide from the LMS. This is good! It prevents the user from progressing through the course without getting credit. I had to exit the course, log back into the LMS, and launch it again. It took me back to the slide I was on when I logged out.

2) Then, I launched a Rise course. I went to the first section. I logged out of the LMS. Unlike the Storyline course, I was able to progress through the entire course, section by section without being stopped. A learner would assume incorrectly this was all being tracked. Because I am a designer, I did notice that images stopped loading. When I logged back in to the LMS, and launched the course, it took me all the way back to the beginning.

To me this shows a gap in Rise's LMS functionality. People will get logged out of any LMS randomly, due to network issues, for example. Rise needs to inform the learner that the connection has been lost so they don't waste time moving through the course, only to find that it wasn't tracked.

7 Replies
Karl Muller

Hi Will,

This is an issue for our organization as well.

In our LMS, when a student launches a course, the LMS opens the course in a new window over the LMS window that remains open in the background. The fact that there are now two open windows is not obvious to the student. 

When a student steps away from the course for an extended period of time, the LMS will time-out in the background. A message will be displayed in the LMS window, but because it's in the background, the student is unaware of the timeout (no message in Rise), and they will continue taking the course.

The result is that anything completed after the timeout is not saved. We get many of those calls ....

So a big yes, Rise needs to inform the learner as soon as the LMS connection has been lost to avoid them wasting time completing a course that is no longer being tracked. 

Will Findlay

Our LMS (Cornerstone) is the same: it opens the SCORM course in a separate window in front of the LMS window, covering any indication that the LMS has logged out. I imagine one suggestion would be to have the course open in the same window, but there is no option for that in Cornerstone and I suspect many other LMSs. Thanks for your support, Karl!

Karl Muller

Hi Will,

In our LMS we can choose to open the course in the same window, but we elected not to do that because the LMS interface takes up a fair amount of space in the window. We can set the size of the course window, but it doesn't really change how much space the LMS UI uses.

You also lose most of the responsive functions of Rise when it runs in the same window as the LMS.

We created a tutorial that all new students must take, which explains the timeout issue, and that it's best to exit the course and resume, rather than leaving the course open for long periods of time.

Steven Benassi

Hi Will!

Thanks for sharing the feedback on the type of functionality you'd like to see in Rise 360!

I'm happy to share that we are tracking a feature request that will add a "You Are Offline" message when learners are disconnected while viewing a Rise 360 lesson. I noticed that my colleague Lauren already included you in the feature report, here.

We'll be sure to provide updates if it makes it onto our Feature Roadmap.