RISE not marking completion

Mar 13, 2020

Hi,

Users of my RISE course are finding that if they exit the course, some of the lessons that were completed are no longer marked as complete when they return. The navigation is restricted so someone cannot have a lesson in section 5 complete and another lesson in section 6 complete with nothing completed between those lessons. Yet when they return to the course that is what it is showing making the user repeat lessons they have already done and prevents them from finishing the course in one sitting. I have been able to recreate the problem in SCORMcloud using chrome. Very very sad right now!

Cheers,

Julie

15 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, Julie!

First, thanks for letting us know you already tested your course in SCORM Cloud! That is usually the first thing we recommend, so I appreciate you sharing that you were able to recreate the problem there. 

Also, smart move opening a case with our support engineers. They will reach out to you soon with steps for sending a copy of your course for testing. 

I'm also going to follow along with your case as it progresses. We'll do all we can to help you resolve this issue!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Adam!

Are you noticing this problem is happening in Chrome and Edge?

If so, we've also seen that courses exited by closing the browser window in Chrome 83 or Edge are not showing as complete or resuming as expected.

Here are some details on the Chrome 83/Edge behavior:
Chrome has deprecated a technology that was used by many LMSs to allow a course to communicate back to the LMS when the course window is closed (as opposed to using the Exit Course button).

If your LMS hasn't upgraded their system, or if you're using an older version of your LMS that doesn't include an update to address this change, the course cannot communicate progress or completion properly. This causes learners to start over from the beginning instead of resuming a course or recording completion after they close the browser window.

Please reach out to your LMS and find out if they have released an update to address the Chrome changes.

CompliSpace Learning

I have a similar issue, which I've submitted as a case.

My course has 8 lesson blocks, each followed by a quiz block, plus an intro and conclusion lesson block. (i.e. Mod 1, Mod 2, Quiz, Mod 3, Quiz .... Mod 9, Quiz, Conclusion)

If the user leaves the course after Block #9 (i.e. Module 5 quiz block) but before they complete the course, their progress from Module 6 onwards is not captured.

I reordered the blocks - moving all the quiz blocks to the end - and the same issue applies. That is, if I leave after Block #9 (which in this case is Module 9), my progress in any of the quizzes is not recorded.

I've tested removing quizzes, removing lessons, and always the failure to record progress happens after the ninth block.

Therefore, I've determined it is not a specific block that is causing the issue, but rather the number of blocks involved.

This issue is occuring in our LMS (Go1), but I have been testing in scorm.cloud. I've tested using Chrome & Firefox. We export as v1.2, but I've tested as 2004. 

Susan

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, Curtis!

Yes, exporting to Tin Can API should help, since Tin Can API doesn't have the same type of data limits. For more details on the resume behavior for Tin Can API, this guide should help point you in the right direction: 

Please let us know if you have any questions! 

Noa Itzhak אנגרמה אימון והדרכה

Hi,

We also have this kind of problem - 

When the user click on refresh or turn off the computer it dosn't save the location of where the user finish at the last time (we have already tried to use the "Marking lessons complete option).

Thank you,

Shir - Anagrama company

Lea Agato

Hi Noa! If your course isn't saving the correct location where the learner stopped, it is possible that you are exceeding the suspend data limits. You can check out this article for more details on SCORM suspend data limits.

Let me know how it goes or if you need further assistance, and I’d be happy to dig deeper into this issue.

janel bacote

Since this is an issue with several users including myself do you have any suggestions on work around that we can use to capture completions.  I have tried  many  of the work arounds with no luck and as a result we  are in the process of updating to a new LMS but that solution is several month off. We wanted to use rise in the interim as an easy way to host course. We had a ticket  in but they said it was an LMS issues. Since we cannot fix the LMS at this time and are going to sumtoal learn for a new LMS I am looking for interim suggestion.

I've tested using Chrome, edge & Firefox. We export as v1.2, but I've tested as 2004same result where it it resets every time so  it does not keep track of their progress.

Thanks

Ashlyn Roberto

Has there been any update on this from dev team? My learners are completing courses but the courses are showing as if they were not taken. They are taking the course directly on articulate not an LMS. Google Chrome is a main browser for many including our team- this should to be fixed……