Rise SCORM not displaying in Moodle on iOS

Jan 11, 2019

Hi.  When I view a Rise course in the Moodle mobile app on an iPhone or iPad, the Course does not fully display in the full screen format.  The app itself shows fullscreen (ie menu options in the footer section), whereas the SCORM content only shows in around 60% of the screen.

Courses show perfectly in android, so appears unique to iOS.  I've attached images to show it working as it should, and the problem one.  I'm trying to launch a customised version of this app and this is the only remaining issue, so would be super grateful for any assistance!

22 Replies
Allison LaMotte

Hi Tim,

Did you try uploading your course to SCORM Cloud to see if you experience the same behavior?

That's what we generally recommend doing to determine whether the problem stems from the course or the LMS. Here's an article that walks you through how to do that.

If it works correctly on SCORM Cloud, then the problem is coming from the LMS and you'll need to talk to your provider.

If you see the same issue on SCORM Cloud, then the problem is likely coming from the course itself. If that's the case, please reach out to our support team.

Tim Lewis

Thanks Allison for your response.

In short ... Yes!  I've loaded into SCORM Cloud but as per my issue, the problem exists in an App environment.  And yes, I understand that Rise is designed for web utilisation, but my business is App based which is why this aspect needs to work.

I'm already in touch with your support team but was eager to see if anyone else out there had experienced similar issues.  Given yours is the only response, I'll assume not!

Thanks anyway.

Tim

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Demi. Tim was working with our support team on this issue and had isolated it to iOS devices using the Moodle mobile app. We were troubleshooting, but Tim may have had to focus on some other work.

I've opened a case for my team to dive into the details with you, Demi. Be on the lookout for an email from support!

Catherine Pook

Hi Crystal. Thanks for the response. Interestingly enough, I hadn't even downloaded the Moodle Mobile app yet when I commenced testing on the iPhone Safari browser. Upon reading the initial posted problem again, I realise it has to do with the Moodle App - which is not where I'm having the problem. I shall find the thread that relates to the same scrolling issue in iOS Safari browser and have my colleague, Maggie follow up it. To be continued ;)

Human Resources

Hi Crystal. Demi has forwarded me an email from Gren regarding Case 01855996. Our problem is not with Moodle app at all. It is to do with the iOS iphone browser (Safari) showing a grey overlay block which hides the content while scrolling. I will reply to Gren's email with this updated information including all the configuration and environmental data so we can get to the bottom of the issue. Thanks!

Verne Ordman

We are seriously struggling with a similar issue. We have created many many SCORM items and uploaded into Moodle LMS. Some students are using their smartphones to complete the courses. We did realise it was probably related to Safari. So we got students to download Google Chrome app. Here is what happens: TEST 3: Accessed ACTIVITY | WHS Regulators and Regulations. After clicking the item and Enter, clicked Start. Bottom next topic/lesson link not showing unless scroll down and hold – and even then, not clickable. The only way forward is to scroll up and use the menu. (This one doesn’t have, but a previous one had a quiz – unable to access it.) Got to the last screen from the menu. Can’t see the COMPLETE. So scrolled up and clicked EXIT on top right of the screen. Got the Bye screen. The main issue is that it is absolutely essential that Moodle captures the completion (government requirement), and currently it's intermittent at best. Please help. We have hundreds of assets, some recent ones.

Verne Ordman

Hi - I am trying to upload the SCORM file following the click here button.
At first it blocked me. I unblocked the popup to SCORMcloud. However, all
it does after I sign in is start a sample course.

The zip file is too large to email. Is there another way I can share it
with you?

I really (really) appreciate any help with getting SCORM working on mobile
devices (Moodle LMS).

Cheers
Verne

Verne Ordman

Hi there - an update. I decided to try the sample course in the link you sent on the SCORMcloud LMS from my smartphone - an iPhone - to see if it worked as expected or if I experienced the inability to see or use the links at the bottom of the screens. The example course sent worked fine and I wish it worked in that way from within Moodle. I recorded the iPhone screen if you want the video plus one showing the issue in Moodle I am happy to send them.

Thanks. Verne

Sent from my iPhone

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Verne,

Thanks for giving us some time to look into this behavior.

Even when your course is launched in a new window, Moodle displays Rise 360 content inside an iframe. This generates two scrollbars — an inner scrollbar for the Rise 360 content inside the iframe, and an outer scrollbar for the Moodle interface. This short mobile screen recording displays the two scrollbars.

If you scroll down on a mobile device but you can’t see the next button, this is likely because the outer scrollbar hasn’t reached the bottom of the Moodle interface.  

Unfortunately, the Rise 360 output doesn’t control this behavior in Moodle. Connect with your Moodle support to find out if there is a way to displace your courses in a new window without any Moodle interface/iframe.

Fredrik Dahlin

Hi, we are seeing the same problem with Rise and Moodle (please see attached clip). I guess it has to do with two scrollbars although there is only one visible.  Our users can't see the next button, this is specially a problem in a Quiz lesson. How can we fix this? 

Leah Hemeon

I'd like to confirm what Alyssa said about Moodle's behaviour with the iFrame. This has long been an issue and it does even crop up on non-mobile devices if your screen is small or the window frame is small. Moodle adds a large box and an extra scroll. That's in addition to any blocks and other navigation that may be in your installation of Moodle. As Moodle is open source, it's something you'd need to go back to your own Moodle support for or help with funding some alternate code development for core Moodle. It's not something that Articulate configures or can fix. 

ETA - I'm not affiliated with either Articulate or Moodle. I'm just a very long time user of both.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Fredrik,

As Leah mentioned, Moodle adds a large box and an extra scroll bar. If you scroll down on a mobile device but you can’t see the next button, this is likely because the outer scrollbar hasn’t reached the bottom of the Moodle interface.  

Unfortunately, the Rise 360 output doesn’t control this behavior in Moodle. Connect with your Moodle support to find out if there is a way to displace your courses in a new window without any Moodle interface/iframe.

Filipe Adão

Hey guys!

I just found a brief solution for viewing SCORM full screen in Moodle using javascript. My blog is in Portuguese, but it is well explained with images and codes so that you can apply even without being developers.

I hope it helps!!

https://www.filipeadao.com/post/articulate-storyline-como-colocar-o-scorm-em-tela-cheia-no-moodle