Rise Video Closed Captions Not Showing

Jul 03, 2020

Hello,

I've created a course in Rise 360 that has videos throughout. I have uploaded VTT files for closed captioning for these videos within Rise.

Everything appears to work as it should when I preview or look at it using Review.

I then published to a SCORM file for our LMS and when I tested in the LMS environment, none of the closed captions show. I have the option to turn them on, I select them, but no closed captions appear. I checked the SCORM package and I can see that the VTT files are in there.

Has anyone else encountered this, know what might be causing it and/or how to fix?

Thanks for your help!

11 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Jill! Sorry you're having trouble seeing the closed captions in your LMS. 

Have you done any testing in SCORM Cloud yet?  If so, are you getting the same results? We generally compare the behavior in SCORM Cloud to your LMS experience to try to parse out Rise 360 issues versus LMS issues.  We are happy to help you with that testing if you'd like to share your output file!

Amanda Michaluk

Hello Karen,

We were able to resolve this issue by making a settings change in the IIS of our web server so that it was capable of using the .VTT files that are included in this courseware. I had to ask our IT department to add the MIME type "text/vtt" and file extension ".vtt".

I've attached the instructions our LMS vendor sent us. Perhaps they will be applicable to your situation.

Hope this helps.

Maria Wulf

I know this is an old discussion but we had the same issue, the captions would show up just fine when the module was previewed in Rise but when we exported it and posted on our server they wouldn't show up.  Our server administrator added the appropriate mime type and .vtt file extension to the supported file types and now the captions show and can be toggled on and off.