Saving Learner Progress When Republishing Course

Jan 29, 2024

Hi all,

I'm looking for a solution to an issue we are facing when making updates to courses published in our LMS. We'd like to be able to make minor edits to our courses occasionally without having learners lose their progress. Does anyone have suggestions for making this work? 

We published a Rise course to our LMS and a number of learners are enrolled in the course. We needed to make a minor update, but when we republished the new SCORM file, it cleared progress for learners who had not completed the course. If you were a learner that completed the course, your completion stayed intact.

Our LMS provider suggested adding “section markers” (also referred to as “session points" or "ending points") within the course after each section.  These section markers send a signal to the LMS that the section is complete. When all sections are complete the course will complete.  Therefore, if a future edit is made to a section in a SCORM file, it will not reset progress for the entire course. This suggestion sounds perfect, but I'm not able to find "section markers" in the settings. My discussion board searches so far haven't turned up anything either. Is this possible in Rise?

Thank you! 

3 Replies
Jose Tansengco

Hello Lauren,

Happy to chime in!

What you're experiencing is expected behavior when republishing courses. When you update existing course files in your LMS or web server, learners who previously started the course won't be able to resume where they left off.

We recommend scheduling the course update at a time when none of your learners are in the middle of completing the course to preserve their progress.

Karl Muller

Hi Lauren,

When we replace the SCORM for an existing course, our LMS offers two choices: do we want to update the existing course and maintain student in-progress data, or treat the SCORM as a brand new version which will reset the progress for all students.

Note that not all LMS's offer this option, and most will default to treating a replacement SCORM as a new course and always reset learner progress.