Scenario Block - Loading speed of images too slow over average speed

Nov 29, 2019

Hello there, we have been having some file size and loading speed problems with the scenario blocks in Articulate Rise.

1. File size - the character images in rise are too large, by replacing the images manually in assets folder we were able to reduce a file down to 42mb from 69mbs - is there a way to have optimized character images directly on the Rise?
  2. Loading speed - most of our end users are larger institutions with limited network connectivity, making the scenario character loading speeds a challenge. Even after manually optimizing the character images in assets, they load just as slow as the original files. Is this an image problem or is it the loading process of the scenario block?

The scenario block has been an exciting new feature on Rise, it allows for great quizzing application. Yet, it proves a bit challenging to have end users wait for the images to load. Is there a way to resolve this issue? 

32 Replies
Jordan Barr

Hi Hazel. In this case, it's not really about a performance issue with any one course. It's more about the unusually large SCORM packages when using the scenario block. Due to my organization's mobile-first approach, our SCORM package file sizes need to be 25MB or less. Adding a scenario block to an existing course, no matter the length of the scenario, can double or triple the SCORM package file size.

Is there a workaround for using the scenario block without high-res images for every character gesture, even when you're only using one or two gestures?

Knowledge  E

Hi Articulate community,

I have the same issue.

Is there a better way to increase the load speed of a storyline file uploaded on an LMS? I have an interactive hotspot SL file and uploaded it onto our Canvas LMS, but it usually takes around 8-10 seconds before it appears (see attached recording). The image used is also web optimised.

I have also attached here the SL file. Let me know if I missed something.

Thanks in advance

Gren Foronda

Hi there, Knowledge E!

Sorry to hear about the slow loading speed of your Storyline course uploaded in your LMS.

Thanks for sharing the video and the Storyline file. We'd like to have a closer look into this issue, so I have created a case (03393518) on your behalf, and forwarded these files to our team. A support engineer will reach out to you soon to investigate this issue. We'll be following this case as well; please feel free to let us know should you need any further assistance on this.

Mengqiao Xu

Hi! I'm having the same issues. Please see my answers below.

• What image is slow to load: the character, or the background image? - The character
  • Does this happen when you're previewing the course, or only after it is published? - Both, and it's loading much slower within our LMS (SumTotal).
  • Does this happen in all web browsers? - Yes

In addition, the same loading issues happen to Storyline interactive blocks as well.

Other computers have the same problems - we've had reviewers (accessing via Review 360) and learners (accessing via LMS) reporting these.

No VPN was used in our cases. And these happen in all of our courses that have the above block types.

I appreciate the workaround solutions from the community and will try them later when we don't have tight deadlines. Is there anything that Articulate could do to help from the character pack options perspective? Thanks so much!

Steven Benassi

Hi Carrie!

Sorry to hear you've also run into trouble with Scenario Blocks!

To better assist, can you share a few more details on the type of behavior you are encountering? It would be helpful to see a screenshot or screen recording of the issue as well. If you'd rather share those privately, please connect with our support engineers through a support case.

Looking forward to hearing from you!