SCORM tracking in D2L Brightspace

Apr 06, 2022

Hello - I have several lessons in D2L with SCORM tracking. Ultimate goal is to have reliable data as to the amount of time a student spends in the lesson and to know that they completed it.  We've been testing a lot of scenarios. I had a student run two trials: a. click in and out of a lesson within 10 seconds, b.  click and spend 20' in the lesson, and in each scenario the tracking showed her being in it for 3-8 seconds. 
Students also use the Pulse app to complete lessons and same thing.  Seems to be the only reliable metric to track completion is when a grey or green checkmark appears next to the lesson in their D2L content page - which is something I can't see.
1. Is it possible to see the amount of time spent in lessons?
2. Is there a better way to track completion?

I appreciate any input.

3 Replies
Karl Muller

Hi Stephanie,

Rise sends student data to the LMS every 60 seconds while in a Lesson, when the student navigates from one Lesson to another, and when the course is exited.

As far as I'm aware, overall time spent in the course is reported cumulatively, and not for each separate Lesson. Our LMS does not report student course completion time, so I can't confirm this.

Why do you need to track time for each Lesson in such detail?

On the Export page you have three course completion tracking options:

• Percentage of the Course that the student needs to view
  • Select a single Quiz to determine course completion
  • Use a Storyline block to determine course completion