Sharing/Exporting Rise Courses

Jul 06, 2020

What is the difference between exporting a Rise course to the web vs. lms? Will it function differently?

Is it 'frowned upon' to simply distribute the link that is generated when you click the Share button rather than exporting it?

6 Replies
Tom Kuhlmann

Export for Web or LMS are essentially the same. The difference is that with the LMS option, there's data inside that allows the course and LMS to communicate back and forth.

Using the share link is more of a production feature to see the progress in the course development. It shares the production version of the course and not a finished version.

If you just want to share a link to the course, you can publish to Review 360, turn off comments and then share the course that way.

However, the best bet is to have a web server to host the course. If you don't have one, Amazon or Google have free/very low cost options. Here's a post I did to show what to do. It's what I use to share course for the blog.

Teresa Vanderpost

I am happy to see this, so I don't have to create new.  I am uploading my first RISE course after all this time to my LMS but I also have to upload to the Web.  The LMS was the same as storyline so it worked great.

I just want to confirm what I need to do for the Web.  For storyline when I publish to the web,  I get a storyline output file and upload to my server via Filezilla and I figure out the path to the story.html file.  

I was surprised when I did Export to Web for RISE that it gave me a zip file (like it does for the LMS).  So my question is:  Do I upload the entire zip file for the web via Filezilla?  how do I figure out what my url would be.

For example one of my storyline web uploads the url is this:

http://www.camhx.ca/education/online_courses/Sharps%20Injury%20Prevention%20-%20Storyline%20output/story.html

An example of one of my zip RISE files to go to the web is this:

office-ergonomics-module-1-overview-and-introduction-raw-ucrnNEbB    -  do I upload this but then what would my url be?  Also I noticed all RISE zip files have an odd combo of letters and numbers which makes the name very long, can I rename it and remove these?  Reason I ask is that our courses are stored after creation deep on the network and sometimes it won't copy because file name is too long...

Thanks

I will keep zipping the files (I have nine of them) and hopefully hear back soon.  I have to say I do like RISE but it is more limiting than storyline, but can see some pro's...do like the look!

Lea Agato

Hi Teresa,

You’ll want to extract the zip package and upload the contents to your web server using Filezilla as you do with your Storyline output.

When the files are uploaded, you'll want to get the path for the  index.html file and use this for the link you share with your learners.

Let me know if you have other questions! 

Bonnie Schmidt

I am trying to come up with a way to share our articulate created courses with our summer interns who are not given access to our LMS via an employee ID - since they aren't our employees. They do need to take courses like Safety and orientation and I am not sure how I can provide the courses to them.

Would it be possible to share them on the department Facebook page somehow? I'm not clear on what exporting to Web does - does it put the course somewhere out on some site?

Would you be able to explain the Web options and process in very basic terms - such as what happens when I export to Web - where does the course go? How do I access it again, etc.

Thank you!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Bonnie! 

When you export a course for Web, an output file will automatically download to your computer. You'll have to then upload that file to a web server. This will allow you to generate a link you can share with others for viewing. 

Do you need to track who completed the course? If so, check out Rise.com! It's the perfect solution for hosting Rise 360 courses outside your LMS. You'll be able to enroll the interns in training and track their learning data, all within Rise.com.

Check it out, and connect with the Rise team if you have any questions about it!