Social Constructivsm: Discussion Forums and Rise

Sep 13, 2022

Hi all, 

I have seen similar conversations come up in the past but I'm wondering if anyone has come up with more seamless ways to incorporate learner interactions and social learning elements within Rise courses? Of course we can embed a Padlet - but these can be difficult to monitor/track/moderate. Another option is of course to use the LMS discussion options and link them within Rise but this involves going to and from the Rise and the LMS platform. 

As Rise still do not have a discussion block - what have others been doing? When we look at the requirement to build transversal skills within society, this capability seems like a very much missing feature in Rise! Any thoughts? 

Thanks

3 Replies
Frances ODonnell

Hi Tom, 

Thanks for the reply - an interesting suggestion. I will explore - unlikely to do what we need it do but will give it a go. At present I am looking at embedding Yammer (as learners will be microsoft based) - but annoyingly I can't get Yammer to embed one topic/thread at any given time (the whole community embeds which won't work for what we need either). 

I will keep trying to find a solution! 

Frances ODonnell

Aha - I have adapted the iframe to embed by topic in Yammer. This will work for now! The question associated with the content at any particular point will show in the iframe within Rise and act as our discussion board (without students getting distracted by other threads etc. or having to navigate out to an LMS forum).

It would be ideal if Rise could incorporate a forum - even better a tracked forum! 

Thanks again - you spurred me on to find a solution.