Some help with seamless Storyline interactive in Rise

Feb 21, 2019

Hi there,

I'm trying to integrate a Storyline block in my Rise course. In the past, it has been seamless where the opening screen would be visible immediately, without having to click on the 'play' button.

I'm trying to update my course but I seem to not be able to have that function anymore. 

I've attached a screenshot of what I'm talking about, can anyone please assist?

8 Replies
Anthony Karcz

Hi, Afiq! Some modern browsers, like Safari and Chrome now block autoplay audio and video. This keeps Storyline 360 content from playing automatically.

Since we can't change browser settings (if only we had that kind of power), we updated Storyline 360. Learners are presented with the playback button so they can view Storyline 360 content regardless of browser restrictions.

That'd be why you're seeing something different in a previous version of your course. This article goes into the change a bit more

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you!

Anthony Goss

There should be a way to customize the play button splash screen with something custom, similar to a video poster frame.  That way, the user is presented with something more elegant than the grey play button.  I work very hard to make my courses look seamless in Rise, and this kind of thing really impacts the overall look and feel of the course.  I have already submitted this as a feature request, but it has not been implemented. 

Anthony Goss

Thanks for the thoughtful follow-up, Anthony.  I think this is a much needed feature given the fact that browsers are not going to support auto-start.  The opening splash screen with the play button is not elegant at all.  This seems to be something that has been around for a while with Storyline.  I am not sure how difficult it would be to implement a poster frame.  It seems like it could be a setting adding to the player where you could upload a custom image that would have a translucent play button that is overlaid on top of it.  Even better would be the ability to customize this play button to match the brand colors.  (I am dreaming here!)

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.