Sorting Activity Word Limit?

Oct 28, 2019

Hello, does anyone know what the limits are for the Rise sorting activity.  We have a word getting cut off when viewed on a mobile phone in portrait orientation.  It plays fine in Rise when using the phone in portrait orientation viewer, but is cut off in Review and in Talent LMS.  I've attached some screen shots.  It's the top card, and the word that gets cut off is "ignored". I've decreased the font size on the flash card interaction and that seems to change the font, and they no longer look the same, so I didn't really both trying it on this interaction.  Actually that happens more when we change the font size in the flash cards interaction.

8 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Michael,

Because of limited screen space on smartphones, each item can have up to three lines of text when viewed in portrait mode, which could be fewer than 80 characters of text. If you're using custom fonts, you may see fewer than three lines. You can preview sorting activities in Rise 360 and switch to mobile portrait mode to make sure all your text displays correctly.

You shared that the mobile portrait preview does not match what you see on your personal mobile device. Are you viewing the Rise 360 content on a mobile app? If so, how does that compare to what you see in the mobile web browser?

Michael Anselmo

Hi Alyssa.  Thank you for your response.  It does show everything when previewing in Rise mobile portrait  mode, but not in the Talent LMS app (when viewing on my Note 8 or my colleague's iPhone).  Also, I previewed it in Articulate Review (actually she did, and that is where we first discovered that it cut off the word), using my mobile phone again, and it also cut off that word.  I know some of the screen  real estate is taken by the menu/side bar in Review, but I figured the frame where you view the course would be an accurate representation?  I guess it could be how much space the app allows for the course, but I don't really know the details there.  We are designing a custom app for the Talent LMS portal (we will brand it more than Talent's app), but that is not my role on this project.  Is this something that we should discuss with our app designer? Of course, while the app is being built, we are testing the courses in the native Talent LMS apps (Android and iOS).

We are using the stock font, which I believe is Lato for headings, and Merriweather for body,  and had not adjusted the font size.

Any suggestions?  I can try to decrease the font size, but as I mentioned, when I have tried this in other areas it seems like it changes the font? I don;t see why it would do that, but it definitely looks different and not as elegant.

Michael Anselmo

OK, that's what I thought.  We use this of course to share the course and make each other collaborators, but once in there we can preview the course, and  it doesn't show the word getting cut off, so I may have to work with Talent LMS and discuss if it could possibly their app?  I just thought that view it in Review was a more true view of how it would play in an LMS or website (but haven't tried that yet).  Thank you.  I guess I can experiment with font size?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.