TIP: Build a Rise Course with a Pretest

Jan 24, 2023

There is a way to include a pretest in a Rise course! 

This demo shows how to let a user skip the content if they pass. If they fail, they have to go through the content (which could include a Quiz that they have to pass in order to complete the course).

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/7302b067-f903-4cf2-a979-e27d169d76cc/review

Rise doesn't have this functionality built in—at least, not yet. But it can be done using a few Storyline blocks, some button blocks, and navigation restrictions. 

Caveats: The program can't tell the LMS if the user passed the pretest or if they went through the content. And it can't tell the LMS the user's score. But it can tell the LMS that the user "completed" the course.

*** UPDATE 2024-01-17 ***

As per Ingrid Marcum's comments below, there's another caveat. If a user fails the pretest, exits the course before proceeding to the content, and then relaunches the course, the Storyline block will reset. In other words, the user would be able to retake the pretest. As Ingrid said, the Articulate staff "confirmed that the storyline blocks will always reset when revisiting the page in Rise." So, alas, this method isn't a solution if you're concerned about users doing that. 

29 Replies
Judy Nollet

The "content" in the demo has my best step-by-step instructions for how to set up and publish the SL block with the pretest, as well as how to adjust things in Rise. 

For more details about SL blocks, see this User Guide article: Rise 360: Use Storyline Blocks to Embed Storyline 360 Courses - Articulate Support 

Cheryl Powers

yes sorry for the confusion Ingrid. True, I was speaking about the SL pretest but our entire course is in SL, and we published to "always resume". I incorrectly assumed that the publish settings in the SL block would still work in Rise too. :-( I  see that you found the user guide for Rise states that they can always start over. That would be a deal breaker as we wouldn't want them to take the pretest over and over. 

Adam McKnight

Is Storyline something we must add on? I do not see the same window below in Review (2nd image). I have the SL option in Review, 1st image, but I am not able to do anything with it such as building a block.

[cid:image001.png@01DAAD06.9D2975C0]

[cid:image002.png@01DAAD06.9D2975C0]

Adam McKnight
Advanced HES Professional
Field Training Professional
Marathon Oil Company
Cell: 830.299.1602

Need a new course developed or change to a course? Email us here: traininghes@marathonoil.com

Judy Nollet
Adam McKnight

Is Storyline something we must add on? I do not see the same window below in Review (2nd image). I have the SL option in Review, 1st image, but I am not able to do anything with it such as building a block.

[cid:image001.png@01DAAD06.9D2975C0]

[cid:image002.png@01DAAD06.9D2975C0]

Those links don't open images. Instead, they try to send an email. So I have no idea what you're seeing.

If you already have your Storyline file published to Review 360, then follow the instructions in the User Guide article Rise 360: Use Storyline Blocks to Embed Storyline 360 Courses - Articulate Support (which I linked to previously) to put that published course into an interactive Storyline block in Rise.