Translations: "Include HTML formatting" toggle doesn't seem to work - HTML still included in .XLIFF file

May 19, 2020

Hi there. Trying to export an .XLIFF file for translations, and it seems to not do what it says. An exported .XLIFF file seems to be full of HTML and it is screwing up the translation tools I have and making the job way harder. 

Now, I compared two files side by side, with both the checkbox on and off, and the "off" version doesn't seem to strip out ALL of the HTML. There's still a lot of code garbling up the exported text. Paragraphs especially are full of garbled HTML. Please advise. 

Importing back the exact same file I exported gives me an Error of "import failed", without me modifying the file in any way. 

Is this feature even remotely functional in any way?

11 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hello, Oxford Learning! It sounds like you're seeing two issues here, so let's tackle each one individually.

Issue #1: An exported XLIFF file seems to be full of HTML and it is screwing up the translation tools I have and making the job way harder. 

The feature you're referring to excludes HTML formatting tags, not all HTML. Some HTML is still needed for web apps, computer programs, and professional translation services that are specifically designed to edit XLIFF files. 

Take this block of paragraph text for example:

When Include HTML Formatting is checked, the XLIFF file will include HTML formatting tags like "x-html-strong""x-html-u", "x-html-em", and "x-html-span".

When Include HTML Formatting is not checked, the XLIFF file does not include those HTML formatting tags. 

Issue #2: Importing back the exact same file I exported gives me an Error of "import failed", without me modifying the file in any way. 

Please export the XLIFF file, then immediately import it back in without opening it with any program. If you still hit an error, we will want to take a closer look at your XLIFF file. 

Please let me know how it goes!

Oxford Learning

Hi Alyssa, 

Thank you for replying. What software would you recommend for translations such as this then? I tried a number of tools and they all had incredible difficulty with the file. I tried .XLIFFTranslator and POEditor - exports from those tools failed to import correctly back into the course.    

Would the proper translation require the translator to work around the existing HTML in paragraphs?

I tried importing the .xliff file immediately after exporting again, and it did work. However, importing any modified files with translations gives an undefined error. 

And lastly - is the language of the course chosen automatically? How does a user choose their language?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi again!

While we don't recommend specific translation tools, this discussion thread has several recommendations you can check out. 

You mentioned that importing any modified files with translations gives an undefined error. What tool are you using to modify the files? It's possible that the tool is adding hidden characters that are causing the error. 

Finally, the source language is set to English (EN) by default. While we can't provide support for modified published output, you can try changing the language attribute from (EN) to something else in the index.html file, saving the file, and then uploading the edited package to your web server or LMS.

Also, be sure you translate your label set in Rise 360 before exporting the file. Here's how to do that!

Oxford Learning

Thank you Alyssa. It'd be great if the error provided some more details about what actually went wrong. Actual technical information etc. 

I'm using Matecat by Translate since it's a great collaboration and translation tool. But at the moment I'm trying to make sure I have a working import process. 

If the import is successful, how is the language selected? Is it user-selectable or is it automatic?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.