Turn off marker pulse animation in Rise

Jul 08, 2018

I love the marker feature in Rise, but I would like to turn off the pulse animation, like you can in Storyline. I can't find where to do it. Is it possible in Rise? 

Thanks.

40 Replies
Nick Clark

Hi,

Is there any update on this? Looks like this request has been up a while!

As one of the original posters says, there are accessibility best practices to consider and it would be really useful to have the option to turn off pulse animations? (No problem with it being the default, but would appreciate the option to opt out!)

Isabel Crevasse

I do unfortunately think you’re right on that one, Chelsea. This is a request people have been making and flagging as an accessibility issue for 5 years, and I’m pretty sure this would be a pretty easy fix on Rise’s end (coding a static marker has got to be easier than one that pulses constantly). They would have fixed this by now if they wanted to, but, despite clear customer feedback and being shown repeatedly that it hinders accessibility, they don’t seem to have an interest in fixing it. 

Domenick Chiddo

I was just looking into this issue and came here for clarification. As I understand it, using the pulse animation on markers would cause an eLearn course to fail a WCAG accessibility check. (See https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/pause-stop-hide.html.) Sounds like others in this thread agree. One potential fix: If there were an option to set the duration of the blinking to five seconds or less, this animation could be used in compliance with WCAG guidelines. 

Domenick Chiddo

Correction: In the Labeled Graphic block in Rise, the marker animation stops when a marker is selected. Since the user is able to stop the animation, I believe it is compliant under the WCAG guideline cited above. 

In Storyline, however, the animation does not stop when a marker is selected. So, I think using marker animations in Storyline would not meet WCAG accessibility requirements. For that reason, I always set the animation to "None" when using markers in Storyline. 

Hope this helps.

Steven Benassi

Hi Jimmy!

Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like having the option to remove the pulsing animation from Labeled Graphic Markers would greatly benefit you and your team!

I've included you in the feature report and will update this discussion as soon as we have news to share. If you'd like to stay up to date, please bookmark our Feature Roadmap.

Domenick Chiddo

Jimmy,

Rise users can stop the pulse animations on Labeled Graphic Markers by clicking on them (or by tabbing to them and pressing Enter). Based on my reading of the WCAG guidelines, these animations are in conformance with the guidelines since the user can disable them. I am not an expert on this topic, though, so I could be wrong.

Of course, you are right in saying that there should be an option for the developer to disable the pulse animations, because it would be tedious for a user to stop each one individually.

- Domenick